The Republic of Heaven

TBOD: What I know about The Book of Dust

Discuss general topics related to the series

Postby AySz88 » Fri Apr 11, 2003 3:52 am

No, random guy, I think Sergi is Ruta's dæmon.
- Don't let your processing power go to waste! Volunteer Your PC and fight against cancer and more!
- My nickname looks like alphabet soup to people, so I go by "Soup".
<-- That's my dæmon! (Celierra, ce-lee-air-ra) - "wei" means "my dæmon/human and I"
Okibi on dæmons in this forum
Life is much more like a soap opera than most people think.
Tom Stoppard wrote:No problem is insoluble given a big enough plastic bag.
- On the National Theatre's plastic bags.
AySz88
Celierra, Red Fox

Yahoo Messenger: AySz88
AOL: AySz88

Postby BenRoshi » Thu Aug 07, 2003 5:35 am

since we happen to be on a hdm board and we're talking about multiple universes through time travel...
The fact remains that everything that they did in HDM ammounted to absolutly nothin gin the larger scheme because there are probably milillions of authorities in differnet worlds where Lyra and Will died of small pox or something ^^. Kind of makes ya think eh.
ah but there is a moral in this story! If you think there are other worlds, perk up because you're dead somewhere else!
hm... this side up, cool I can read upside down!

BenRoshi
Zalif

AOL: heeroyuans

Postby eniamrahc » Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:48 am

I don't quite understand the thing about Mary being the snake. What did she do to tempt Lyra, anyway? And did Lyra let herself be tempted?

From the Freedom of Light into the Freedom of Darkness she fades - but her shadow here remains - for so ardent was the radiance of her being. - By the grace of dear Maximillian.
eniamrahc
Misplaced

AOL: enicharma

Postby Tristan » Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:53 pm

-How does Mary tempt Lyra?
Mary tempts Lyra by telling her the "marzipan" story about when she fell in love. This put the idea in Lyra's head that there was another way to look at Will, and by accepting that she was in love with him, she fell from innocence, like Eve upon eating the fruit.

http://www.bridgetothestars.net/index.php?p=FAQ#2

... isn't the FAQ a wonderful resource? :D
Tristan
Megamouth Sraffie

Postby jessia » Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:51 pm

mary tempted them by simply introducing the idea of (falling in) love.
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby AySz88 » Sun Aug 24, 2003 8:52 am

BenRoshi wrote:since we happen to be on a hdm board and we're talking about multiple universes through time travel...
The fact remains that everything that they did in HDM ammounted to absolutly nothin gin the larger scheme because there are probably milillions of authorities in differnet worlds where Lyra and Will died of small pox or something ^^. Kind of makes ya think eh.
ah but there is a moral in this story! If you think there are other worlds, perk up because you're dead somewhere else!

Actually, having them succeed in one world results in the saving of all the worlds, since all the windows would be closed.
- Don't let your processing power go to waste! Volunteer Your PC and fight against cancer and more!
- My nickname looks like alphabet soup to people, so I go by "Soup".
<-- That's my dæmon! (Celierra, ce-lee-air-ra) - "wei" means "my dæmon/human and I"
Okibi on dæmons in this forum
Life is much more like a soap opera than most people think.
Tom Stoppard wrote:No problem is insoluble given a big enough plastic bag.
- On the National Theatre's plastic bags.
AySz88
Celierra, Red Fox

Yahoo Messenger: AySz88
AOL: AySz88

Postby TonyOn » Sun Aug 24, 2003 4:15 pm

AySz88 wrote:
BenRoshi wrote:since we happen to be on a hdm board and we're talking about multiple universes through time travel...

Actually, having them succeed in one world results in the saving of all the worlds, since all the windows would be closed.

But if there was a knife in more than one world, another Will mightkeep cutting windows... If possible other Wills were capable of that...

Thanks to Sarah Ellerton (http://www.arts-angel.com) for the pic of Quistis Trepe.
Thanks to Nix for hosting the sig.
Thanks to me for putting it together.
TonyOn
Delegate

Postby eloquent » Sun Aug 24, 2003 7:26 pm

We could take a very fatalist attitude to this and say yes, anything that happens in one world is worth "as close to nothing as makes no odds". We could also take a similar fatalist attitude towards the events and achievements of our own lives, compared to the vast expanses of space and time. But I beleive that this is not really in the spirit of the books, and does not really take into account all the lessons the books teach the reader regarding the building of 'The Republic of Heaven'. Basically, you have to take every world in its own context, or everything is meaningless.
eloquent
Professional Delinquent

Postby Celestial Madness » Sun Aug 24, 2003 8:31 pm

I agree, one of the books themes is overcoming fears, obsticals,and adversity, also that what you do in your life is not meaningless, so taking a view like that would contradict what the book is trying to show.
I have a truly marvellous life which this signature is too narrow to summarize within.

Celestial Madness
Angle of Repose

Postby kaisa111 » Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:27 pm

The book of dust will not have a part about Lyra. The part about Lyra four years later is called Lyra's Oxford. The book of dust is just about non-main characters, like Serrafina Pekkalie and Farder Coram. Lyra's Oxford was going to be in The Book of Dust but some one decided not to probably because you get more money from two books instead of one! DUHHH. :roll:

( Double Post Deleted )
kaisa111
Grazer

Postby Tristan » Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:00 pm

actually Kaisa... there WILL be more of Lyra in BOD, according to an interview with Pullman from November, after the publication of LO:

Interviewer:Is it a continuation?

Pullman: "Well, there are different ways of approaching this. You could say that the story of Will and Lyra, which is the story of His Dark Materials, is over. That story is finished. But all the characters in the story go on. They have new stories, and new things happen to them. So, the next book is a new story, and it will involve Lyra. I can't, well, I won't tell you any more than that. Lyra's Oxford is a little episode on the way there, in the course of which she acquires some knowledge or makes some acquaintences, or learns something which will be a very great use to her later on in the next book, so that's a sort of way of putting it. "

Pullman (on what it will be about): "Well, I'm going to go a little bit more deeply, perhaps, into Lyra's discovery of what Dust means, and Dust, very briefly, is a sort of picture of human consciousness and wisdom, and this seems to be at odds with the church in Lyra's world, who are afraid of it and regard it as original sin and that sort of thing. So we will look at the background of it, and come to understand what Dust is and how the Church has come to hate it and fear it and so on, so there will be more explanation of that, yeah."
Tristan
Megamouth Sraffie

Postby Angel to follow » Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:32 pm

I admire attitude ive got loads i just try to keep it under wraps anyway, I hope there is a lyra bit because seeing her at 16 would be interesting.She wouldn't have seen will in four years and i'm sure there's other boys interested in her but is she interested in them? thats what i wanna know.
Angel to follow
Queen of Wonderland

Postby Will » Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:35 pm

If you want to see Lyra at 16, read Lyra's Oxford. Though I'm afraid that there's not much there, really..
Q: If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God tell you when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
Pullman: Well, I'm retiring, would you like to take it on ?
Will
Homo Sine Deo

Postby conna » Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:48 pm

cool thx for shearing
The One
conna
Megamouth Sraffie

Postby DarkRraven44 » Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:08 am

i myself am not quite sure what you shared but. whatever. i can't believe the book's not coming out til 2005 or somthing though. they can't do that to us.
I wanna be the minority
I don't need your authority
Down with the moral majority
'Cause I wanna be the minority

I pledge allegiance to the underworld
One nation under dog
There of which I stand alone
A face in the crowd
Unsung, against the mold
Without a doubt
Singled out
The only way I know

I wanna be the minority
I don't need your authority

Stepped out of the line
Like a sheep runs from the herd
Marching out of time
To my own beat now
The only way I know

One light, one mind
Flashing in the dark
Blinded by the silence of a thousand broken hearts
'For crying out loud' she screamed unto me

A free for all
F*** 'em all
You are your own sight

I wanna be the minority
I don't need your authourity

Green Day
Minority
DarkRraven44
Grazer

Yahoo Messenger: DarkRraven44
AOL: DarkRraven44

Postby jessia » Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:11 am

i don't mind waiting if it's worth the wait. i don't want pullman to rush or anything either. lo was crap. or actually, i should read it again. i didn't fully/properly appreciate tgc until a year after i first actually read it (but then i was young-ish). but i didn't think it was crap the first time.
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby Angel to follow » Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:35 pm

conna wrote:cool thx for shearing

I think he means sharing, do you conna?
Lauren-Jane

I have a great mind to believe in Christianity for the mere pleasure of fancying I may be damned.
George Gordon
Angel to follow
Queen of Wonderland

Return to “%s” General The Book of Dust Talk