The Republic of Heaven

TBOD: Developments?

Discuss general topics related to the series

TBOD: Developments?

Postby jessia » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:46 am

i don't know about the reliability of this random facebooker, but it gives us something to talk about.

Giuseppe Monastero wrote:I have some insider information ladies and gents. Book of Dust: takes place 4 years after the last story BUT for those of you who can't wait to get more of your favorite characters and those who enjoyed Lyra's Oxford; there is a blue book based on Lee Scoresby and Iorek Byrnison and a green book based on Will... and as many as 3 others! the first 2 will be out before Book of Dust and I can say one more thing; the Book of Dust is going to be 600 pages. But of course Philip wouldn't comment on the question "will they meet again?" just a straight faced "I'm not going to tell you" Better to wait anyway. Bless him.

i'd assume his sources go with this claim:

Giuseppe Monastero wrote:I just got my HDM books signed at Pullman's house this afternoon :P

I rule (actually my girlfriend rules)
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby Somewhat » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:51 am

How intriguing. Well, it has been said he just couldn't give up on Lyra and Will and their story, but a whole extra series? It'll take years! It's just a wee bit improbable, it just doesn't fit with the scale of things like Lyra's Oxford.
Sraffie Awards 2008: Sexiest Male Sraffie // Formerly known as moonflash. Avatar courtesy of the lovely Bee.

"Can I make you a sandwich?"
"Okay - but no mayo. And no raisins, or celery. And no peas. No love, no joy, no future. No mushrooms."

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby Peter » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:43 pm

Let's hear it for leveraging the IP :twisted:
Peter
Not an endangered species

Postby Soapy » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:40 pm

But... but... if... if... if he gets them back together... the entire ending of TAS would be a waste!

*cries in the corner*

Let's just hope he doesn't.

Still, quite interesting about the rest of the books. What's he gonna call teh green one? Will's Oxford?
The Sraffie Formerly Known As hermit
Soapy
President Lesbian

Postby jessia » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:28 pm

maybe it was more like "that's a stupid question, no comment"?

i'd rather one big book than a lot of little books.
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby Leif » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:44 pm

Will and Lyra had better not meet up! Now, obviously Lee and Iorek's story would have to take place before the trilogy, but I wonder when Will's would. It would be interesting to see if Will sticks around with Mary.
Leif
Doesn't have a uterus

Postby Aurone » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:22 am

I've had a thought about Will. As much as I was saddened by his and Lyra's separating, I to hope they don't meet again, or else it would make the big ending for The Amber Spyglass for nothing. Something did come to mind for me though, there are still some aspects in Will's world that could be explored by Will and Marry if need be.

Will and Marry where surely shocked by there adventures, Witchs, Bears, Melufa, Specters, all these things wheren't in there world, but that's not to say there isn't some supernatural aspect to Will and Marry's world. There could be mysterys and fantasy like beings and histories that Will and Marry could join in on, give an adventure with some freshness. Just a thought though.
Aurone
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Leif » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:36 am

Aurone wrote:Will and Marry where surely shocked by there adventures, Witchs, Bears, Melufa, Specters, all these things wheren't in there world, but that's not to say there isn't some supernatural aspect to Will and Marry's world. There could be mysterys and fantasy like beings and histories that Will and Marry could join in on, give an adventure with some freshness. Just a thought though.

I'm fairly certain they come from our world, but it would certainly be fun to read about. I'd like to know if they stick together (maybe Mary helps take care of Will's mom) and how they deal with their experiences and daemons.
Leif
Doesn't have a uterus

Postby Dark Sentry » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:18 am

I recently read the end of TAS and although I would be overjoyed to see Will and Lyra reunited in life I think at the very least when he at last decides to wrap everything up there should be a part at the end of the very last book he writes about them where they meet again in the world of the dead, I don't think that would change the impact of the ending of TAS at all since in the back of our minds we all know it's coming.
Dark Sentry
Grazer

Postby Raptor 1001 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:45 pm

Well i expect he will write a reunion story seeing as nearly everyone is preassuring him to.
Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'.

--Rincewind, The Colour of Magic
Raptor 1001
Grazer

Postby zemarl » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:50 pm

who is this nearly everyone? i'll be disappointed if he does. he can easily write lots more about both of them without having them meet. however; if he does a reunion in the world of the dead, that might be worth it. they could tell their stories, continuing where they left off.

i'm curious as to how will and mary handle the situations they come back to. mary's not only out of a job, she's probably going to be arrested. will might be, but i doubt he'd be convicted as it was clearly self-defense and while he caused the man's death, he didn't kill him nor did he intend to.

that's news though, that they're doing more than one book now. if it's true :P could be an attention-seeker.
zemarl
I ATE'NT DEAD

Location: the library of unseen university (dimension unknown)

Postby AUST » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:39 pm

Raptor 1001 wrote:Well i expect he will write a reunion story seeing as nearly everyone is preassuring him to.

I can't see him doing that PP's too strong a man to bow to pressure and knows that doing so would ruin the story. If they did meet it'd have to be in the World of the Dead

Nor can i see a full length series as a followup-to impractical and it would take too long to write.
My Spelling is wobberly. I get all the right letters but they wobble and end up in the wrong order
AUST
Witch

Postby Aurone » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:49 pm

Aside from them meeting in the world of the dead, the only other ways I can see them meeting is A: when they're adult and they have interest in someone else or B: if it was like for a brief hour or something.
Aurone
Gallivespian Spy

Postby AUST » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:07 pm

Aurone wrote:Aside from them meeting in the world of the dead, the only other ways I can see them meeting is A: when they're adult and they have interest in someone else or B: if it was like for a brief hour or something.

Indeed, or if technology in one of the world moves on far enough to 'cut through'. As I've said before i don't think that they'll have an intrest in someone else-or at least I don't think lyra will, Will I'm not so sure about.
My Spelling is wobberly. I get all the right letters but they wobble and end up in the wrong order
AUST
Witch

Postby Dark Sentry » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:30 am

I can't see him doing that PP's too strong a man to bow to pressure and knows that doing so would ruin the story.

One thing though..... PP said he writes for money, So if the readers wanted it enough, he WOULD write it in.

However we are all too divided about it.
Dark Sentry
Grazer

Postby AUST » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:13 am

Dark Sentry wrote:
I can't see him doing that PP's too strong a man to bow to pressure and knows that doing so would ruin the story.

One thing though..... PP said he writes for money, So if the readers wanted it enough, he WOULD write it in.

However we are all too divided about it.

Good point. I always think that first adn foremost he is a storyteller so therefore I hope that he wouldn't write that as it would ruin the story.
AUST
Witch

Postby maija » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:31 pm

Is it sure there'll be 4 books still coming? How could it be?
By the way i really don't think Pullman is going to reunite Will and Lyra. He's already said he won't. So....
"Tässä on visiirini Jafar, hänkin on iloinen!"
"Ratkean."

n__n
maija
Angel

Postby Dark Sentry » Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:43 pm

Honestly I think anything could happen, The word of a man has never stopped things before.
Dark Sentry
Grazer

Postby AUST » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:25 pm

maija wrote:Is it sure there'll be 4 books still coming? How could it be?
By the way i really don't think Pullman is going to reunite Will and Lyra. He's already said he won't. So....

No there isn't 4 books coming thats rubbish.
AUST
Witch

Postby Dark Sentry » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:56 am

And we all know it lol.

Except that guy *points at some random person in the crowd*
Dark Sentry
Grazer

Return to “%s” General The Book of Dust Talk