The Republic of Heaven

TBOD: Developments?

Discuss general topics related to the series

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Mon May 07, 2007 11:32 am

I'll check out your stuff soonish...I'm sure it's excellent.
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby AUST » Mon May 07, 2007 1:30 pm

baltaje wrote:
AUST wrote:I do write a lot of original work as well and I've had a few short stories published along with a bit of poetry. When your a young writer its very hard to penitrate the market and my only full length work got turned down.

don't let that stop you :P maybe the idea didn't work at the time, but try messing around with it. it might take significant changes or maybe you'll do something totally different, but persistence is what will get you there. almost nobody makes it on their very first try. what if orson scott card gave up on ender's game the first time he wanted to publish it? what if pullman just sold his typewriter when his editor didn't like whatever it was he first submitted (and don't tell me his dark materials as it is now was exactly the way he wrote it to start, you don't get masterpieces like that in one go)
I know that :D I wasn't exactly into giving up, though I might stop trying to write epic peices until I get some more knowlage of the themes I'm exploring-at the moment the only area I could say I have any real expertise in is poltics. I might do a bit more 'lighter writing' and explore such themes more subtly.
My Spelling is wobberly. I get all the right letters but they wobble and end up in the wrong order
AUST
Witch

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Wed May 16, 2007 4:45 am

That sounds like a good plan. Maybe work on shorter, really tightly-focused stories and then move on to bigger stuff.
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby Peter » Wed May 16, 2007 12:16 pm

Aletheia Dolorosa wrote:That sounds like a good plan. Maybe work on shorter, really tightly-focused stories and then move on to bigger stuff.

Commandment 7
Peter
Not an endangered species

Postby Kirsty » Wed May 23, 2007 11:13 am

I hope he doesn't write a reunion, the whole point at the end of TAS was that they will NEVER meet again.
Kirsty
Zalif

Postby AUST » Wed May 23, 2007 12:25 pm

Kirsty wrote:I hope he doesn't write a reunion, the whole point at the end of TAS was that they will NEVER meet again.

Agree compeltly-thats what I've been saying...
My Spelling is wobberly. I get all the right letters but they wobble and end up in the wrong order
AUST
Witch

Postby shinoshaki » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:29 pm

I think that the more people insist on having Lyra and Will reunited, the more Phillip Pullman will object, so... INSIST!

I mean, I would like them reunited for the shake of their happiness, but 1) it would spoil a beautiful story and 2) maybe it would make them "forget" about their republic of heaven task.

And I hate, hate, hate reading fanfics about Lyra and Will being reunited with stupid reasons as "Oh, I repaired the subtle knife with the help of my mother" or "Will goes to Lyra's world and love keeps them alive even if they're not in their own world"...
stupid, stupid, stupid...

I don't usually like "they lived happily ever after" endings, coz life is not like that, and I like realistic endings.
shinoshaki
Grazer

Return to “%s” General The Book of Dust Talk