The Republic of Heaven

Annoying Aspects

Discuss the concluding book of the trilogy

Postby krebbe » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:13 am

Having bible-bashers trying to suppress the film will only increase interest in it. I only watched the Jerry Springer opera (on BBC), because of the religious outcry about it and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. It was OK - the swearing was a bit excessive and unecessary. :roll:
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Join BttS Chat on irc.quakenet.org #btts
chat forum topic
chat channel statistics
krebbe
Stultifyingly Substantiated

Postby Lord Boreal » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:59 am

It certainly makes a lot of sense! Eventhough a loyal movie would scare off every single fanatical religious viewer, a LOT of people not so attached to religion would want to see what the fuss is all about... That way both New Line, Sraffies and PP himself would be pleased :D
Lord Boreal
Grazer

Postby Dante » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:02 pm

krebbe wrote:Having bible-bashers trying to suppress the film will only increase interest in it. I only watched the Jerry Springer opera (on BBC), because of the religious outcry about it and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. It was OK - the swearing was a bit excessive and unecessary. :roll:

Don't know if this was posted on here or not (apologies if it was) but apparently, people complained about it in their thousands before it was on, and then only 44 complained afterwards.
Dante
Kombucha Mushroom Person

Postby Huginn » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:46 am

Lord Boreal wrote:It certainly makes a lot of sense! Eventhough a loyal movie would scare off every single fanatical religious viewer, a LOT of people not so attached to religion would want to see what the fuss is all about... That way both New Line, Sraffies and PP himself would be pleased :D

I've never really understood the logic behind censorship of this manner. If the idea is to keep people from being led astray, then I propose that people see these ideas as challenges to be overcome. If you can't, then your faith was just a blind shield. How much does it mean to believe when you don't know what it means not to believe?
It just is.
Huginn
Idiocy Reincarnate

AOL: huginn372

Postby Lord Boreal » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:04 am

Huginn wrote:If the idea is to keep people from being led astray, then I propose that people see these ideas as challenges to be overcome. If you can't, then your faith was just a blind shield. How much does it mean to believe when you don't know what it means not to believe?

You're right, however, most religious institutions find it easier to brainwash their followers and keep them from questioning, probably because their answers are never satisfying... Perhaps this sort of censorship will be made even if New Line changes the books' main message (to my outrage). Afterall, even the Harry Potter movies were being accused of witchcraft by fanatical religious groups! Imagine what they'll think of a movie that's based on HDM :!:
Lord Boreal
Grazer

Postby vegsinPA » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:44 am

There are a lot of things that annoy me, so I won't list them. One of them is however, that I found a lot of possible loop holes (which he might have put there purposly, in the case he wrote a 4th book.), and that lyra and will could never see eachother again. Also, when they part in the end, will says "I love her as noone has ever been loved" That line's kind of cheezy, and if any kid said that around anyone, people would start laughing.
vegsinPA
Grazer

Postby Lord Boreal » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:42 pm

vegsinPA wrote:There are a lot of things that annoy me, so I won't list them. One of them is however, that I found a lot of possible loop holes (which he might have put there purposly, in the case he wrote a 4th book.), and that lyra and will could never see eachother again. Also, when they part in the end, will says "I love her as noone has ever been loved" That line's kind of cheezy, and if any kid said that around anyone, people would start laughing.

One thing's for sure, Lyra and Will's story will not be continued. If a fourth book is written, it'll only be an add-on and contain details about secondary characters (somewhat like LO). It annoys me as well, but maybe it's for the best. Just think of Harry Potter's endless sequels...
As for Will's line, he hasn't loved anyone besides Lyra! How would he know?! So I agree with you....
Behold! The real Svalbard with the famous Northern Lights!
Lord Boreal
Grazer

Postby Tomsy » Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:55 pm

Lord Boreal wrote:One thing's for sure, Lyra and Will's story will not be continued. If a fourth book is written, it'll only be an add-on and contain details about secondary characters (somewhat like LO). It annoys me as well, but maybe it's for the best. Just think of Harry Potter's endless sequels...
As for Will's line, he hasn't loved anyone besides Lyra! How would he know?! So I agree with you....

Well, according to a talk Pullman gave back in November, it will be focusing on Lyra:
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=200434
When in doubt, castle.

Image Image Image
Tomsy
Ain't no passing craze

Postby Cookiemonster » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:21 pm

Lord Boreal wrote: Just think of Harry Potter's endless sequels...

But they're not sequels, they're part of a series.
Sorry, felt the need to be picky.

Sequels in general aren't a good or a bad thing anyway, it's whether they're actually good and well written or not that counts, surely?
Genius is always allowed some leeway, after the hammer has been prised from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up - Thief Of Time.

There may, as the philosopher says, be no spoon, although this begs the question of why there is the idea of soup. - Thief Of Time

*Divide By Cucumber Error - Please Re-install Universe And Reboot* - Hogfather

To travel between universes would require an extremely subtle knife, or a cunning spoon - Callum

:cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute:

Bunnies!

ImageImage
Cookiemonster
Sweet and Delicious

Postby Jamie » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:34 pm

Cookiemonster wrote:it's whether they're actually good and well written or not that counts, surely?

very true.

and stop calling me "surely" :lol:

vegsinPA wrote:if any kid said that around anyone, people would start laughing.

hmm... I don't think Will seems like the kind of person to give an ~*iguana*~ what people think...

If you want to know what makes me sad
Well it's hope, the endurance of faith
A battle that lasts a lifetime
A fight that never ends

Walking in the countryside
It seems that the winds have stopped
Tell my mother I am sorry
And I loved her
Jamie
Microphone Fiend

Postby Will » Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:47 pm

He would; he'd just break their arm afterwards.
Q: If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God tell you when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
Pullman: Well, I'm retiring, would you like to take it on ?
Will
Homo Sine Deo

Postby Lord Boreal » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:22 pm

abc wrote:
Lord Boreal wrote:One thing's for sure, Lyra and Will's story will not be continued. If a fourth book is written, it'll only be an add-on and contain details about secondary characters (somewhat like LO). It annoys me as well, but maybe it's for the best. Just think of Harry Potter's endless sequels...

Well, according to a talk Pullman gave back in November, it will be focusing on Lyra:
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=200434

Really? I was kind of hoping it would focus on Will or the other characters, especially since PP wrote LO only focusing on Lyra (evidently)...
Behold! The real Svalbard with the famous Northern Lights!
Lord Boreal
Grazer

Return to “%s” The Amber Spyglass