The Republic of Heaven

Mark Reads The Amber Spyglass - with BTTS

Discuss the concluding book of the trilogy

Re: Mark Reads The Amber Spyglass - Week 7

Postby cjp » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:44 am

Yes, I think you're right. I just don't want him to get to the end and think "wait, they never resolved that thread". And I'm glad no one thought I was being nasty in my disappointment; I still enjoy how Mark can relate his experiences to the books, but like you say, I'd have just liked to know his thoughts on the contents of the chapter.

I don't think that I had any preconceived ideas about what the ending should have been, so I don't think I ever felt cheated in any way. I was very much along for the ride. I can definitely see how some people would feel that way though. But even though the ending had a pretty big effect on me (I'm sure I'll go on and on about this next week), I don't think it would have worked any other way, sadly. It certainly wouldn't have had such an impact on me, and would we have fan sites and message boards like this, if everyone had lived happily ever after or Lyra and Will were simply friends who had to part?

Seriously, I'm only getting through this at the moment by not thinking about the 3 chapters next week.
cjp
Grazer

Re: Mark Reads The Amber Spyglass - Week 7

Postby cjp » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:00 pm

Over the Hills and Far Away

Well, I'm not sure Mark did quite get it, but it's been pointed out so many times today that I'm sure he knows now. Anyway...

That was a lovely, romantic end to the book wasn't it? 35 glorious chapters, and we've finished the last book of the series. Done. Dusted. Yep, nothing to see here. Those last few pages? Just adverts; don't even bother turning them over. Just put the book down, walk away, and we can all just agree that this is the real end and absolutely nothing bad that will make a 26-year-old fully grown man weep like a child will happen next week.
cjp
Grazer

Re: Mark Reads The Amber Spyglass - Week 8

Postby cjp » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:47 pm

I am both excited and apprehensive at this point. No review from Mark today apparently, and as I read 'The Broken Arrow' last night, another day to drag out said apprehension.

My real point for this post is to point out how awesome the weekly banners have been. As a web designer I can get awfully picky over that kind of thing, but they've been fantastic every week. Whoever's directly responsible for them; great work! I was wondering if this weeks might be different (even though there was still space for more books on the 'shelf'), and I think it's the obvious choice to go with. Is that the bench?

Ahead of Chapter 36: The Broken Arrow (Tuesday now, I believe), a question for anyone else who's still reading along/interested; The daemons are clearly upset at having to tell Will and Lyra what they know, but how much do they know? I was always under the impression that they knew that all the windows needed to be closed (as this is what they tell their people), but not about having to live in your own world to stay healthy (they obviously weren't around when John Parry told the children this). Serafina also says to Mary "if" Lyra returns to her own world during another conversation, but the chapter is a bit intentionally vague on all this.

Has my assumption always been right?
cjp
Grazer

Postby Jaya » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:10 pm

I think that's what I assumed too. At some point while they're talking, the daemons are the one to suggest that Will and Kirjava need to go and live in Lyra's world, and vice versa. It is then that Will and Lyra realise the implications, as they can't live healthily in each other's worlds. Then there's that moment of hope when they understand that one window can be left open, provided that Dust continues to be made (through good actions, etc)...and the soul-crushing realisation that they cannot close the window from the world of the dead.

Thanks for the compliments to the banners! We're no web designers, but I sort of...directed them, and Raphael made them. I believe that is the bench, as it does look like it - but not entirely sure, I'll ask him!
"To him whose elastic and vigorous thought keeps pace with the sun, the day is a perpetual morning."
-Henry David Thoreau

ImageImageImageImageImage
Jaya
Je ne suis pas une sraffie.

Postby cjp » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:41 pm

Jaya wrote:I think that's what I assumed too. At some point while they're talking, the daemons are the one to suggest that Will and Kirjava need to go and live in Lyra's world, and vice versa. It is then that Will and Lyra realise the implications, as they can't live healthily in each other's worlds. Then there's that moment of hope when they understand that one window can be left open, provided that Dust continues to be made (through good actions, etc)...and the soul-crushing realisation that they cannot close the window from the world of the dead.

Ah, of course! I'd forgetten that the daemons suggest that one pair would have to go to live in the others' world. As it turns out, the daemons know one half of the problem, and Will and Lyra know the other half.

It's a very evil way of trying to build up possible hope and then shooting it down. It's like Mr Pullman wants me to be sobbing mess.
cjp
Grazer

Postby cjp » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:01 pm

Chapter 36: The Broken Arrow

Well, I'm a bit annoyed that Mark's basically worked this all out, haha. I'm sure at this point I'd have still been thinking "it's fine, they still have the knife, they can just move from one world to the other to keep healthy".

However from experience I know that even knowing exactly what is coming doesn't make it any easier. *sigh*
cjp
Grazer

Postby cjp » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:51 pm

And then there was one.

To be honest, I'm a bit surprised and disappointed at the amount of people on Mark Reads who don't like the ending. Not in the 'it's so sad, i hate it' kind of way, just those who have a dislike for the direction, or no real empathy with the situation and characters.

For me, the ending (everything from Authority's End onwards) was the bit where this went from being a great series, to one I fell in love with. I have no idea why, it just resonated with me. I see it as quite a brave movement of the plot, rather than having it culminate in a huge climactic battle scene or something.

I'm not quite sure what people were expecting? Still there are plenty of others (who'd mostly read it before) in full-on sobbing mode. I love those guys.
cjp
Grazer

Postby cjp » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:18 pm

And now it's all over.

I'm a bit lost; I've spent the last month or so firstly furiously catching up, then reading a chapter a day until The Amber Spyglass ended. I might read the last few chapters again just to depress myself further, but then what? What on earth am I going to do then?!

Oh yes, I have Lyra's Oxford and Once Upon a Time in the North to read for the first time! Mark mentioned Friday 16th in his review; is this when he's going to be posting about these? I might hold off on reading them for another week if so...
cjp
Grazer

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:05 pm

Mark wrote:If I will take anything from this trilogy (and I do take a lot of things away from it), I will end this final His Dark Materials review with this: There is no experience quite like being alive, and I will continue to do what I can as one person to assure that everyone I meet can find the joy in this very fact. I hope you find the Republic of Heaven here on Earth.

Oh, hold me. This is exactly how I felt when I finished the series (although I was sobbing my eyes out and was barely capable of conscious thought). It's been so wonderful to follow Mark as he read the series, and I can't wait to see what he thinks of the companion books!

The wonderful thing about this series (which Mark's final week of reviews really brought home) is how Pullman is able to weave emotional, heart-wrenching scenes with complex philosophical ideas that are explained in an interesting and comprehensible way. I was on a blog where people were discussing atheism and the sorts of books one could read about it. People were mentioning stuff like The God Delusion, but I, personally, would be more inclined to recommend HDM as a good starting point to explain my own atheism.

When I read it, it didn't change what I believed, but rather gave me the words to explain what I believed and why I believed it. I think it was similar for Mark.
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby cjp » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:56 am

Please bear in mind that this might be the beer talking...

I think I was prepared for the 'worst' this time, but thanks to Mark's review I found myself quite positive and upbeat come the final chapter. When I read this before, I stayed in a kind of numb haze for days while I tried to work out how I felt about it all (answer = depressed). This time though, I feel more aware of the positive message that Pullman's trying to send out: life is good; sometimes we don't appreciate it enough, but it's the only one we have, and it's our responsibility as human beings to make the best of it for ALL of us while we can.

A couple of days since I finished reading TAS, I still keep thinking of single lines from the last few chapters that break my heart, but the overall feeling is one of excitement and joy at everything around me. Both Mark and Philip Pullman should take shared credit for that.

Seriously though, how great would Mark be at posing questions to PP, running a little interview? I'd love to see this!
cjp
Grazer

Re: Mark Reads The Amber Spyglass - with BTTS

Postby cjp » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:56 pm

Does anyone know if/when Mark's posts about each book, and the two companion books, are going to appear on here?
cjp
Grazer

Return to “%s” The Amber Spyglass