The Republic of Heaven

The broken Knife

Discuss the concluding book of the trilogy

The broken Knife

Postby yesac113 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:32 pm

I noticed that Will picks up the pieces of the knife after he breaks it, is this just to be careful so no one picks it up.... or somehow he is going to get it fixed again..

please leave your comments.
The fall didn't kill you....
It's the sudden stop that did.
yesac113
Grazer

Postby AUST » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:12 pm

Even a peice of a blade infinatly sharp would be incredably dangerious. And even a peice-if discovered-could point out how to make another knief to any discoverer. They do leave a small window open to Will, but I think he was picking them up for others safety.
My Spelling is wobberly. I get all the right letters but they wobble and end up in the wrong order
AUST
Witch

Postby Riali » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:00 am

Although I'm sure Will doesn't want anyone to slice their hand off iwth a bit of broken knife, and I don't doubt that "perhaps someday" was in the back of his head when he picked up every tiny piece, I really think his main motivation was just wanting to have the pieces. The knife was a huge part of his life for a lot of important events. It belongs to and with him, even broken. He is the knifebearer. He'd no more abandon the pieces than Lyra would abandon the alethiometer after losing the ability to read it.
"A Revolution without dancing is a Revolution not worth having."
Riali
Witch

Postby AUST » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:52 am

Riali wrote:Although I'm sure Will doesn't want anyone to slice their hand off iwth a bit of broken knife, and I don't doubt that "perhaps someday" was in the back of his head when he picked up every tiny piece, I really think his main motivation was just wanting to have the pieces. The knife was a huge part of his life for a lot of important events. It belongs to and with him, even broken. He is the knifebearer. He'd no more abandon the pieces than Lyra would abandon the alethiometer after losing the ability to read it.

Fair point...

And I suppose that he would have to pass on the knife if he just left it and someone else would become the barer.
My Spelling is wobberly. I get all the right letters but they wobble and end up in the wrong order
AUST
Witch

Postby angelalice » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:00 pm

He may have just wanted to keep the parts of the knife as a keepsake, to remind him of what he went through and so he can be sure it all really happened.
Let's take a dive and swim right through sophisticated points of view.
angelalice
Gallivespian Spy

Postby zemarl » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:27 am

angelalice wrote:He may have just wanted to keep the parts of the knife as a keepsake, to remind him of what he went through and so he can be sure it all really happened.

he's missing two fingers because of that knife, remember.
i wear purple for my daddy
zemarl
I ATE'NT DEAD

Location: the library of unseen university (dimension unknown)

Postby AUST » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:25 am

baltaje wrote:
angelalice wrote:He may have just wanted to keep the parts of the knife as a keepsake, to remind him of what he went through and so he can be sure it all really happened.

he's missing two fingers because of that knife, remember.

Quite a poigent reminder really...
AUST
Witch

Postby Australis » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:56 pm

Two missing fingers would certainly be a daily reminder of what he had been through, but angelalice is right in thinking even the knife shattered would be a concrete momento, a reminder that he once had the ability to cross worlds and wield considerable power. Oh, the temptation to seek out a skilled blacksmith, in the months and years to come, when his loss becomes overwhelming...
Australis
Zalif

Postby Enitharmon » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:33 pm

I think his immediate concern would be to prevent the fragments of the knife falling into the hands of Sir Charles Latrom and whatever shadowy organisation he was involved with.
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by the age of eighteen (Albert Einstein)
The Book of Enitharmon
Currently reading: Vanity Fair by William M Thackeray
Enitharmon
Ageing Drama Queen

Yahoo Messenger: swanofkennet
AOL: SwanOfKennet

Postby Australis » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:35 am

Enitharmon, I'm sure you've only forgotten for the moment, but Mrs Coulter poisoned Latrom/Boreal in the tent, didn't she? (there's a fairly high attrition rate of characters in these books).
Australis
Zalif

Postby AUST » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:52 am

Australis wrote:Enitharmon, I'm sure you've only forgotten for the moment, but Mrs Coulter poisoned Latrom/Boreal in the tent, didn't she? (there's a fairly high attrition rate of characters in these books).

Presumably his organisation and the one that sent the men after Will still exists?
AUST
Witch

Postby Enitharmon » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:01 pm

Australis wrote:Enitharmon, I'm sure you've only forgotten for the moment, but Mrs Coulter poisoned Latrom/Boreal in the tent, didn't she? (there's a fairly high attrition rate of characters in these books).

But does Will know that? Also, Latrom wasn't acting alone.
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by the age of eighteen (Albert Einstein)
The Book of Enitharmon
Enitharmon
Ageing Drama Queen

Postby Jez » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:11 pm

Enitharmon wrote:But does Will know that? Also, Latrom wasn't acting alone.

Will does know. I think Balthamos told him. But I agree with you that Will was right to be cautious anyway; Latrom might not have been the only one who knew about the knife.

To me, it seemed appropriate that Will kept the fragments of the knife. After all, he's still the knife-bearer. The knife is his responsibility.
Jez
Absolutely Uncertain

Postby Yrael » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:14 pm

Will certainly knows about latrom being dead, he went into the tent to see if there was anything worth stealing. Or is that just mt version?
Pick a Star, any star!
Yrael
The eighth shiner

Postby Enitharmon » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:29 pm

owatts93darkmaterials fan wrote:Will certainly knows about latrom being dead, he went into the tent to see if there was anything worth stealing. Or is that just mt version?

Will didn't know Boreal had been there, though, did he?
The Book of Enitharmon
Enitharmon
Ageing Drama Queen

Postby Midnighttosix » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:43 pm

Enitharmon wrote:Will didn't know Boreal had been there, though, did he?

The Amber Spyglass- P17 wrote:Will walked carefully around to the entrance, which faced the lake. Sprawled beside an overturned canvas chair was the body of the man known in Will's world as Sir Charles Latrom, and in Lyra's as Lord Boreal, the man who stole her alethiometer, which theft in turn led Will to the subtle knife itself. Sir Charles had been smooth, dishonest, and powerful, and now he was dead. His face was distorted unpleasantly, and Will didn't want to look at it...

I'm fairly sure he did.
"If you can find an Afghan rebel that the Moscow bullets missed, ask him what he thinks of voting Communist.... Sandinista!" - Joe Strummer
Midnighttosix
Gyptian

Re: The broken Knife

Postby WBA_premiership » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:05 am

Just reaction if you broke something in public you would pick up the pieces right?
WBA_premiership
Zalif

Location: USA: SC usually or England: either Birmingham area usually

Postby will parry hopeful » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:06 pm

I think he kept it to remind about Lyra, it is the only thing he's got that would remind him about the time he spent with her
my daemon is ariel and is apparently a lion
will parry hopeful
Grazer

Postby Yrael » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:11 pm

The angel told him to collect all the pieces when he broke it.
Pick a Star, any star!
Yrael
The eighth shiner

Postby bharned1 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:22 am

I think he kept it as keepsake too. How often do you come across a knife that not only takes you to other worlds, but cuts through anything. And yes, it would also be a reminder of Lyra.
Tommorow we will sweat and toil, our hands will quiver caked with soil.
Tommorow we'll give it one last chance,
but tonight we dance, but tonight we dance!
-Rise Against, But Tonight We Dance
bharned1
Zalif

Return to “%s” The Amber Spyglass