The Republic of Heaven

I can't believe she lost it, was anyone else angry at this?

Discuss the concluding book of the trilogy

I can't believe she lost it, was anyone else angry at this?

Postby Nixy » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:43 pm

I can't believe Lyra lost the ability to read the alethiometer! I was so shocked at this, and so bumbed, almost depressed actually!!! I did not see this coming! There are no words for this! But I really hate that!!!
^*^When life gives you lemon, squirt them in other people's faces^*^

~ I don't suffer from insanity *twitch* I enjoy every minute of it *twitch twitch* ~
Nixy
Grazer

Re: I can't believe she lost it, was anyone else angry at th

Postby AUST » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:18 pm

Nixy wrote:I can't believe Lyra lost the ability to read the alethiometer! I was so shocked at this, and so bumbed, almost depressed actually!!! I did not see this coming! There are no words for this! But I really hate that!!!

Why? It had to happen and I reckon it adds to the beauty of the story.
My Spelling is wobberly. I get all the right letters but they wobble and end up in the wrong order
AUST
Witch

Postby Mr Anderson » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:38 pm

She no longer saw a world in a grain of sand. She was no longer a child.
IDIOT, n.
A member of a large and powerful tribe whose influence in human affairs has always been dominant and controlling. The Idiot's activity is not confined to any special field of thought or action, but "pervades and regulates the whole." He has the last word in everything; his decision is unappealable. He sets the fashions and opinion of taste, dictates the limitations of speech and circumscribes conduct with a dead-line.
Mr Anderson
Witch

Postby Mockingbird » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:55 pm

She read it through 'grace' and lost it when she 'lost' her innocence. She can learn it again, and when she does, she'll understand it better because she'll have worked for it.
Mockingbird
A Walking Blade

AOL: distantdeeps

Postby Dismantle the Sun » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:29 pm

Why be shocked? You know it's coming from the very first book. But I can't remember the quote right now, so... :?
Dismantle the Sun
Grazer

Postby Somewhat » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:55 am

Acrually, it came to me as a shock too. But it's important to know that, as Di said, her gift was just that: a gift. She needs to earn the skill and then she will know much more.

/me goes to find the 'Can all children read the Alethiometer' thread
Sraffie Awards 2008: Sexiest Male Sraffie // Formerly known as moonflash. Avatar courtesy of the lovely Bee.

"Can I make you a sandwich?"
"Okay - but no mayo. And no raisins, or celery. And no peas. No love, no joy, no future. No mushrooms."

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby Nixy » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:18 pm

yeah, I get that, but if it was a gift, how could she lose it, or was it taken back? either way, it's not right!
If anyone finds the quote, I'd like to see it, because I dont remember it ever being said she would lose it!

~ I don't suffer from insanity *twitch* I enjoy every minute of it *twitch twitch* ~
Nixy
Grazer

Postby king of Svalbard » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:17 am

hmmmmmmmm...I can't seem to remember the quote and I'm too lazy to get up and find the book. :D But I was pretty shocked as well until I really thought about it, then it all made sense.
"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean it's not real"
-Dumbledore
king of Svalbard
Grazer

Postby Aurone » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:30 am

It shocked me, but it was also kind of harsh cause Pullman teases the reader I think. First she tries to read it and the reader's like "Yes! Find an answer so you can stay together!" then she can't read it anymore. Then they're told 1 window will remain open and your like "Yes! They can have another window open and stay together!" then you find out that one window is the window for the ghosts.
Aurone
Gallivespian Spy

Postby AUST » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:30 pm

Nixy wrote:yeah, I get that, but if it was a gift, how could she lose it, or was it taken back? either way, it's not right!
If anyone finds the quote, I'd like to see it, because I dont remember it ever being said she would lose it!

Because she was growing up-I can't run for ages without sweating now, but when i do run I run harder and faster. Its that sort of thing.
My Spelling is wobberly. I get all the right letters but they wobble and end up in the wrong order
AUST
Witch

Postby Nixy » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:26 pm

ukh...I dunno...I'm still pissed about it...

Nixy
Grazer

Postby Enitharmon » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:02 pm

Nixy wrote:ukh...I dunno...I'm still pissed about it...

You sound too young to be drinking.

Have a read of Heinrich von Kleist's On the Marionette Theatre, as Uncle Phil suggests. That should explain the thinking. Otherwise you are missing the point of the story.
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by the age of eighteen (Albert Einstein)
The Book of Enitharmon
Currently reading: Vanity Fair by William M Thackeray
Enitharmon
Ageing Drama Queen

Yahoo Messenger: swanofkennet
AOL: SwanOfKennet

Postby zemarl » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:47 pm

rosie, where do you FIND these gems? that was brilliant.
i wear purple for my daddy
zemarl
I ATE'NT DEAD

Location: the library of unseen university (dimension unknown)

Postby bee » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:58 pm

baltaje wrote:rosie, where do you FIND these gems? that was brilliant.

Agreed. Twas fantastic.

About the thread topic, yes, I was sad she lost the ability, but like with the windows, it couldn't've been any other way.
ImageImageImage
Best Newbie (Sraffie Awards 2008)
Best Dressed Sraffie (Sraffie Awards 2009)

"There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved." (Charles Darwin, "On the Origin of Species")
bee
HoneyPie

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Mr Anderson » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:49 pm

Indeed, a great wee read.
IDIOT, n.
A member of a large and powerful tribe whose influence in human affairs has always been dominant and controlling. The Idiot's activity is not confined to any special field of thought or action, but "pervades and regulates the whole." He has the last word in everything; his decision is unappealable. He sets the fashions and opinion of taste, dictates the limitations of speech and circumscribes conduct with a dead-line.
Mr Anderson
Witch

Postby Zalgsar » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:49 am

I don't think the series would have been the same without some of the tragic loses. I believe that Lyra losing the ability was one of the many that made it such a convincing "Nothing last forever" type ending
Zalgsar
Grazer

Postby Nixy » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:40 pm

ok ok geeeeez!!! Holy Benders people! just expressing a personal opinion...keep your pants on...
The last poster made a good, NICE, non-sarcastic point, so I thank you...

by the way, what would possibly lead you to assmue I drink!?! I'm underage! and I've only ever had one sip of alcohol in my life! and that was an accident! no really! it was! stop judging me....*sobs*

Enitharmon wrote:You sound too young to be drinking.

Have a read of Heinrich von Kleist's On the Marionette Theatre, as Uncle Phil suggests. That should explain the thinking. Otherwise you are missing the point of the story.

ok ok point taken, I would have thanked you for the info. if it wasn't so pleasantly accompanied by all that sarcasm...

Mod edit: Double post merged, please use the edit button to add to your posts

Nixy
Grazer

Postby Cookiemonster » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:32 pm

I read it more as plain-speaking rather than sarcasm, myself.
Genius is always allowed some leeway, after the hammer has been prised from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up - Thief Of Time.

There may, as the philosopher says, be no spoon, although this begs the question of why there is the idea of soup. - Thief Of Time

*Divide By Cucumber Error - Please Re-install Universe And Reboot* - Hogfather

To travel between universes would require an extremely subtle knife, or a cunning spoon - Callum

:cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute:

Bunnies!

ImageImage
Cookiemonster
Sweet and Delicious

Postby Enitharmon » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:00 pm

Nixy wrote:by the way, what would possibly lead you to assume I drink!?!

Erm, you said you were drunk?
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by the age of eighteen (Albert Einstein)
The Book of Enitharmon
Currently reading: Vanity Fair by William M Thackeray
Enitharmon
Ageing Drama Queen

Yahoo Messenger: swanofkennet
AOL: SwanOfKennet

Postby Cookiemonster » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:41 pm

Enitharmon wrote:
Nixy wrote:ukh...I dunno...I'm still pissed about it...

You sound too young to be drinking.

Just to clarify Rosie's above comment, the key word is in bold.
Genius is always allowed some leeway, after the hammer has been prised from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up - Thief Of Time.

There may, as the philosopher says, be no spoon, although this begs the question of why there is the idea of soup. - Thief Of Time

*Divide By Cucumber Error - Please Re-install Universe And Reboot* - Hogfather

To travel between universes would require an extremely subtle knife, or a cunning spoon - Callum

:cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute:

Bunnies!

ImageImage
Cookiemonster
Sweet and Delicious

Return to “%s” The Amber Spyglass