The Republic of Heaven

Do you think Mrs.Coulter deserved to die?

Discuss the concluding book of the trilogy

Do you think Mrs. Coulter should have died?

Yes
51%
No
49%

Total votes : 77

Do you think Mrs.Coulter deserved to die?

Postby shankerman » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:43 pm

i think she deserved to die, she is a horrible person. She didn't care about Lyra til she was 12. She betrayed Metatron. She drugged Lyra.
Last edited by shankerman on Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
I think you are weird

Leonidus wrote: Why haven't you seen 300?
shankerman
Grazer

Postby DarkKnightJRK » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:54 pm

Uh...she did die. :?
DarkKnightJRK
Zalif

Yahoo Messenger: CapedCrusaderJRK
AOL: DarkKnightJRK

Postby Annernanner » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:50 pm

Sorry to break it to you Shank, but she and Lord Asriel tumbled into the abyss in order to destroy Metatron, because he was a bad angel who was controlling the world.
"It is better to be happy for a moment,
and be burned up with beauty,
than to live forever,
and be bored all the while."

-The Moth, by Don Marquis
Annernanner
Witch

Postby Cookiemonster » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:59 pm

I think what he's trying to ask is whether people agree that Coulter deserved to die or not. Not whether she did.
Genius is always allowed some leeway, after the hammer has been prised from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up - Thief Of Time.

There may, as the philosopher says, be no spoon, although this begs the question of why there is the idea of soup. - Thief Of Time

*Divide By Cucumber Error - Please Re-install Universe And Reboot* - Hogfather

To travel between universes would require an extremely subtle knife, or a cunning spoon - Callum

:cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute: :cute:

Bunnies!

ImageImage
Cookiemonster
Sweet and Delicious

Postby Annernanner » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:09 pm

In that case, no, I don't think anyone deserves to die, but they should. It's a way of life....or death....whatever!
"It is better to be happy for a moment,
and be burned up with beauty,
than to live forever,
and be bored all the while."

-The Moth, by Don Marquis
Annernanner
Witch

Postby Lyra&Pan » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:14 pm

I really don't know. Coulter was one of the most interesting and maybe the most mysterious characters of our favourite trilogy. In some points, I really want her dead (She abandoned her own child, she lied and killed, and most important: her daemon!!)I wanted her to die, so there would be no more golden,awful Ozymandeus, who enjoys torturimg animals and attacking other daemons. But I think that she felt sorry about her behaviour in TAS, so maybe she didn't deserve to die.
Spiderpig,spiderpig. He does whatever a spiderpig does. Can he swing from his web ?No he can't, he's a pig. Look ouuuut, look ouuuut...He's the Spiderpig !!
~ The Simpsons movie
Lyra&Pan
Witch

Yahoo Messenger: efskolyvas@yahoo.gr

Postby Tomsy » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:46 pm

If there's one thing the book taught me (other than never to underestimate bears), then it's that fun literary characters should never be wholly good or evil. Coulter did some dastardly things, yes, but it seems that a lot of her actions, particularly towards the end, had genuinely noble intentions. She can be seen as another person blinded from her awful acts by the idea of "God's will" etc.. So deserve to die? Um, well I'm not entirely sure what makes someone deserve to die, but I don't think she did it.

shankerman wrote:i think she should have died, she is a horrible person. She didn't care about Lyra til she was 12. She betrayed Metatron.

Metatron was a bitch! Surely everyone was cheering Coulter on by that point. :P
Last edited by Tomsy on Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When in doubt, castle.

Image Image Image
Tomsy
Ain't no passing craze

Postby shankerman » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:36 pm

actually i forget that they all fell into the abyss i re read the chapter and now i know
Last edited by shankerman on Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I think you are weird

shankerman
Grazer

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:32 am

Tomsy wrote:If there's one thing the book taught me (other than never to underestimate bears), then it's that fun literary characters should never be wholly good or evil. Coulter did some dastardly things, yes, but it seems that a lot of her actions, particularly towards the end, had genuinely noble intentions. She can be seen as another person blinded from her awful acts by the idea of "God's will" etc.. So deserve to die? Um, well I'm not entirely sure what makes someone deserve to die, but I don't think she did it.

I don't think she deserved to die, but in some ways her death made me cry more than the ending of the book. There's something very moving about tragic redemption, isn't there?

That being said, it's my belief that literature should operate on this principle: Only the truly evil need to die to be redeemed. And like you said, Mrs Coulter is not wholly evil. Self-interested, and power-hungry, yes, but also ambitious and clever and curious about the world.

So, my final verdict is that she didn't deserve to die, but her death was necessary to provide a sort of emotional impact on the reader.

Oh, and Shankerman, people don't like it when you double-post. You can use the 'edit' key to make changes to your posts.
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby shankerman » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:33 pm

forgive me i am new to the fourms
I think you are weird

shankerman
Grazer

Postby Lyra_B_S » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:41 pm

No, I don't think she deserves to die, but maybe things were worst if she hadn't died. Actually not worst, but definetely different. Imagine what if she and Asriel hadn't fall in the abyss. They would live with Lyra, as a family? Or what?
Lyra_B_S
Grazer

Postby AUST » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:51 pm

No. For one thing I don't reckon anyone should die, but for another thing she isn't an evil character.

One of the great things about HDM is that every character is real. There is no black and white and no 'evil' MRs Coulter did some terrable things but she redeemed herself in the classical style. She is by no means a 'bad' charater-by the end of the book. There are no sterotypical villians in it.

However her death is nesscary, both for redemtion in the classical style and for the plot. If she hadn't it would be far less poigant and romantic, and it wouldn't have followed the classical lines that it did. To fully redeem herself she had to die.

So no, she didn't deserve to die but she had too.
My Spelling is wobberly. I get all the right letters but they wobble and end up in the wrong order
AUST
Witch

Postby DarkKnightJRK » Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:39 am

shankerman wrote:actually i forget that they all fell into the abyss i re read the chapter and now i know

And knowing...is half the battle! 8)

Sorry, just had to say it. :oops: :)

By the way, love your sig--anything related to 300 is badass in my eyes.
DarkKnightJRK
Zalif

Yahoo Messenger: CapedCrusaderJRK
AOL: DarkKnightJRK

Postby shankerman » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:24 am

thank you i got the siggy from my buddy at http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=5132937 just copy the BB code and paste it in your signature box.
I think you are weird

shankerman
Grazer

Postby daemonpurra » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:38 am

The fact that she died made me more emotional than when Lyra and Will split up. man I liked it better when she did deserve to die :lol: :cry: :( :evil:
Mrs. Coulter sounds like a sexy criminal mastermind
daemonpurra
Gyptian

Re: Do you think Mrs.Coulter deserved to die?

Postby HopeToBeWill1 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:13 pm

shankerman wrote:i think she deserved to die, she is a horrible person. She didn't care about Lyra til she was 12. She drugged Lyra.
Um, she had duties, remember? And drugged Lyra to stop her running away and getting killed. So she actually did care about her. Heh, but I love analysing villians. To find their motives, and intentions, especially if they are not blck and white villans! :)
Androne, my super-cool tiger daemon!
<====|
And: Escalia, my Sword of Sorcery!
<====={]¬¬¬0
HopeToBeWill1
Gyptian

Postby krebbe » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:41 pm

HopeToBeWill1 wrote:Um, she had duties, remember? And drugged Lyra to stop her running away and getting killed. So she actually did care about her.

See, I did that to my girlfriend, so she could get to stay with me, but when she escaped she said terrible things to the police about me! The mystery of women!
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Join BttS Chat on irc.quakenet.org #btts
chat forum topic
chat channel statistics
krebbe
Stultifyingly Substantiated

Postby shruikan_shade » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:43 pm

shankerman wrote:i think she deserved to die, she is a horrible person. She didn't care about Lyra til she was 12. She betrayed Metatron. She drugged Lyra.

She betrayed Metatron because he was malicious and incredibly powerful, and so he had to die, betraying him was just the best way to kill him.

She drugged Lyra to prevent her death at the hands of the church, so thats not as bad as it sounds, though not ideal either.

Dont get me wrong, im not a fan of her, she supported and brought about incision of children and their daemons, and for that i think she should burn, but she did do some nobler things later on in the trilogy. Nothing which makes up for the incision though.

Her death was also integral to the plot...it couldn't have worked if she'd lived, she would have taken control of Lyra's life from those at Jordan college, as she had already done once before.
shruikan_shade
Zalif

Postby HopeToBeWill1 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:51 pm

krebbe wrote:
HopeToBeWill1 wrote:Um, she had duties, remember? And drugged Lyra to stop her running away and getting killed. So she actually did care about her.

See, I did that to my girlfriend, so she could get to stay with me, but when she escaped she said terrible things to the police about me! The mystery of women!
um, mystery? If you did that to me, I would tell the police too! After hitting you repeatedley with a heavy blunt object. Maybe a spoon.
Androne, my super-cool tiger daemon!
<====|
And: Escalia, my Sword of Sorcery!
<====={]¬¬¬0
HopeToBeWill1
Gyptian

Postby Samon » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:19 pm

Yes. Her death made me cry a little, and she truly brought it back in the ending, but in the beginning she was a horrible and twisted form of life who wanted to see children suffer; she set up a science station simply to seperate them from their daemons. It's a horrible act. I think, in a way, she did get what she deserved.
Samon
Grazer

Return to “%s” The Amber Spyglass