The Republic of Heaven

Do you think Mrs.Coulter deserved to die?

Discuss the concluding book of the trilogy

Do you think Mrs. Coulter should have died?

Yes
51%
No
49%

Total votes : 77

Re: Do you think Mrs.Coulter deserved to die?

Postby brendan_mott » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:23 pm

I am :lol:
brendan_mott
Grazer

Postby onehumaneye » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:04 am

In the world of the story I think Marisa had to die because her crimes were that great, torture, mutilation of children, murder at will, you name it. That is, I think there is no more story for her except to do one good thing before she died. In her life, it seems impossible for her to know what she really wants—that's just how she is—but in the end she makes a decision, one she could not make in life, and that sort of defines what she finally became. I think the only thing that actually happened to her in the story is that she learned, in her painful and confused way, that she loved Lyra.
onehumaneye
Grazer

Postby monster8532 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:11 am

yes

Mod Edit: Please don't post one word answers.
It kills me not to know this
but I've all but just forgotten
what the color of her eyes were
and her scars or how she got them

As the telling signs of age rain down
a single tear is dropping
through the valleys of an aging face
that this world has forgotten

there is no reconciliation
that will put me in my place
and there is no time like the present
to drink these draining seconds

but seldom do these words ring true when
I'm constantly failing you
like walls that we just can't break through
until we disappear

so tell me now
if this ain't love then how do we get out?
because I don't know

Savior- Rise Against
monster8532
Gyptian

Postby Lera » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:04 pm

Marisa's death was the best (and the most beautiful) way Pullman could finish the strange love-story of Marisa and Asriel.
Lera
Zalif

Yahoo Messenger: ermolaevavaleria@yahoo.com

Postby reflective » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:33 pm

Lera wrote:Marisa's death was the best (and the most beautiful) way Pullman could finish the strange love-story of Marisa and Asriel.

i agree with lera

she probably thought she was doing the right thing most of the time, most people do including me. however she had coused many deathes and was proud and cruel and loved asriel badly in the end, however i dont think pp could have ended it any other was as in the 1st couple of books marisa was the enemy.
we all have to die one day
a depressing thought isn't it
reflective
Zalif

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:15 pm

reflective wrote:she probably thought she was doing the right thing most of the time, most people do including me. however she had coused many deathes and was proud and cruel and loved asriel badly in the end, however i dont think pp could have ended it any other was as in the 1st couple of books marisa was the enemy.

Does this necessarily mean that she had to die? Does it logically follow that if she did bad (admittedly atrocious) things she deserves to be punished for them with death? That's heading off on a dangerous 'eye for an eye' philosophy that is not, I don't think, in keeping with the overall themes of Pullman's books.

I'm still of the opinion that Mrs Coulter died because the plot, and the emotional impact her death caused, required it.
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby HDMFAN4LIFE » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:54 pm

i don't think she deserved to die yes she did bad things and no she didn't want Lyra until she was 12 but maybe she was ashamed because Lyra was conceived out of sin and born out of wedlock and if you were that powerful wouldn't you be ashamed to.

and i don't always think things through before i do them maybe that's the case with Marisa she thought she was doing the right thing so she kept doing it.

she did end up loving Lyra a lot because she drugged her to keep her safe and she did love Asriel remember in The Amber Spyglass i think it's the chapter named Midnight she tell him she thinks they should have married so she did love him.

i never thought she should have died but it was for the plot and i loved her as a caricature and but i never cried when she died i found out at school nearly cried and when i accurately read it i never did but now i do. :wink:

i used to think let her die and now i have changed my mind so do i think she deserved to die: no
~I can't change who I am. Not this time, I won't lie to keep you near me and in this short life there's no time to waste on giving up. My love wasn't enough!- Lacrymosa, Evanescence.

*Said calmly* I love HDM....WOOT!!!!!!!!!
HDMFAN4LIFE
Grazer

Postby Lera » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:12 pm

I think this question (if she deserved to die or not) isn't right...
Maybe the author of this theme ment if Marisa deserved to be punished. I think her death wasn't a punishment. It was just the most easy way to lead Marisa's and Asriel's story to the end. Such finishing is tragic, full of scence..
I think Pullman could write more difficult continuation. He could describe Lyra's meeting with her parents, their relationships. And not only that. Asriel's journey helped to destroy Authority. Asriel was in the middle of all future events.. But they just died.
Maybe because of that Pullman wrote "Lyra's Oxford", where he tried to lead the story to continuation. Lyra is on the Asriel's place, she has to pay for his actions. I think the story could be more interesting if in future books were Marisa and Asriel. But at the same time I believe in Pullman's forces. He's great 8) and maybe The Book of Dust will be the best among the other books :lol:
Pain - The Same Old Song
Lera
Zalif

Postby lozzie_kytara » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:52 pm

I don't think that she really deserved to die. In my opinion Lord Asriel deserved more the fate which befell them both. While he took an interest in Lyra's affairs from when she was a young age, I never felt that he truely cared about her, and only cared about her wellbeing because of the Witches Prophecy. Even if I thought that she deserved to die, I don't think I would ever think she deserved to spend all of eternity falling into a bottomless abyss.

Also I may be a teeny bit biased, as I personally think that Mrs Coulter was the best character in the entire trilogy, she was so complex and changed so often.

However, I do agree with what some others have said, in regards to it being the best ending there possibly could have been to Marisa's and Asriel's strange yet wonderful relationship.

And just a side question, was I the only one who cried LOTS at that part of the story?
lozzie_kytara
Grazer

Postby Lera » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:18 am

In fact I don't remember if I cried at this moment, or not... I cried at moments in which Marisa looked after Lyra, where Asriel was talking with Marisa about their daughter. Such moments are amaising. This trilogy is the only which made me be so setimental.
Pain - The Same Old Song
Lera
Zalif

Postby Angel to follow » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:13 pm

I think she deserved to make the ultimate sacrifice for her daughter, she hadn't given her much else.
Lauren-Jane

I have a great mind to believe in Christianity for the mere pleasure of fancying I may be damned.
George Gordon
Angel to follow
Queen of Wonderland

Postby tonytiges » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:40 am

Yes... I think she did deserve to die.

Throughout the books I noticed she became more maternal. In NL, she spent some time with Lyra... and obviously she was not use to playing the mothering role... but her intentions were to keep her away from the Oblation Board.
In the remaining books, she makes constant attempts to 'save' her daughter from the Church...

In the end she makes the ultimate parental sacrifice, showing where Lyra gets her tenacity from.

Sacrifice for the greater good is a constant theme I see through the books.
tonytiges
Grazer

Postby SuperTrainStation H » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:23 pm

Absolutely, but I would have rather her been severed to detonate the bomb that for her to die "an hero" as it were. Mrs. Coulter didn't redeem herself, she just switched sides for her own selfish reasons. Any greater good that came from her actions is a purely coincidental consequence.

If it weren't for the early "thinking machines" built to calculate missile trajectories and crack secret codes during World War II, would computers, jet aircraft, and the internet exist as we know them today? Quite likely not, but that doesn't "redeem" the atrocities that took place during the war.
SuperTrainStation H
Grazer

Postby MCfan692 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:17 am

NO! Mrs. Coulter was awesomee! I know she did bad things in the first book but in the amber spyglass she is completely on Lyra's side because of her love for her because lyra is her daughter! She risked her life so many time to save lyra not for selfish reasons but because she truly loved her daughter! She was totally against the church in teh last book she changed sides! She had a change of heart! i don't get why people think she deserved to die. She was changing into the better person that was blooming inside of her. like when her and lord roke were working together to stop the bomb. she usually works by herself but she was starting to trust other people and work together with them. She was my favorite character and i wish she hadn't died because if she had lived she could've completely changed into that better person. In my opinion the perfect ending would be for Lord Asriel, Mrs. Coulter and Lyra all to live as a happy family but i know that couldn't happen :( I wish Mrs. Coulter would've had a chance to tell Lyra she loved her before she died because now Lyra will never know :( I think thats the saddest part.
MCfan692
Grazer

Return to “%s” The Amber Spyglass