Which side do you think won?

Metatron
5%
Asriel
95%

Total votes : 60

Who wins the war?

Postby Ultracommando93 » Tue May 08, 2007 10:49 am

Does it say in the novel anywhere who wins the final battle? Both sides lose their leader and other casulaties are not mentioned. That battle was pretty climactic (apparently there were millions on both sides), so it would be interesting to see who won.

BTW, how did Asriel set up so much stuff and build such a huge army in a couple of weeks? Perhaps he'd been planning this for a long time beforehand.
Ultracommando93
Armoured Bear

Location: Space, in a region beyond the reaches of human technology

Postby Leif » Tue May 08, 2007 1:03 pm

Somewhere near the end of TAS it's said that the Church was in disarray after the war. I'll find the exact quote when I have more time, but even though Asriel didn't eradicate the Church, I would say his side still came out on top.
Leif
Doesn't have a uterus

Postby Ultracommando93 » Tue May 08, 2007 1:25 pm

Leif wrote:Somewhere near the end of TAS it's said that the Church was in disarray after the war. I'll find the exact quote when I have more time, but even though Asriel didn't eradicate the Church, I would say his side still came out on top.

Asriel wasn't actually at war with the church. I don't think they even contributed many forces to the war. The war was primarily against heaven itself.

I think you might be right though- if the church is in disarray, chances are that was a direct result of the war.
Ultracommando93
Armoured Bear

Postby Jez » Tue May 08, 2007 3:29 pm

The Authority and Metatron both perished, so I'd say that's a heavy blow for their side. Then again, Asriel didn't make it either and his Republic was doomed to fail anyway. Neither side did very well out of it, really.

It was Lyra and Will who achieved the crucial victory.
Jez
Absolutely Uncertain

Postby Diolmhain » Tue May 08, 2007 9:22 pm

Asriel won the battle because he was the goodie.. Goodies always win :P
totally totally totally
Diolmhain
also available in blue

Postby brynjarbjorn » Thu May 10, 2007 12:14 pm

If I remember it correctly, Asriel's forces repelled the Authority's attack on the Republic's fortress, the Authority itself was killed and so was Metatron.
It could be that the war isn't over, but Asriel still won the great battle, even though he sacrificed himself to finish off Metatron. The Church is left without both their God and his arch angel.
brynjarbjorn
Unusual Suspect

Postby Mockingbird » Thu May 10, 2007 10:49 pm

brynjarbjorn wrote:he Church is left without both their God and his arch angel.

This is going a bit off-topic but that's an interesting point, Bryn. Do you think that Lyra's Church is aware of their God, aware enough to know they lost him?

I mean our churches have built themselves around the idea of gods and angels...but they don't actually exist. Well, I suppose that's my opinion, but they at least aren't tangible and visible like in Lyra's world.

It seems that the L-world Church was bending over backwards to protect the Kingdom but it didn't seem as though Metatron or anyone else up there was too concerned with destroying Lyra or even helping their followers until Asriel brought the war to them.
Mockingbird
A Walking Blade

AOL: distantdeeps

Postby brynjarbjorn » Thu May 10, 2007 11:01 pm

Mockingbird wrote:
brynjarbjorn wrote:he Church is left without both their God and his arch angel.

This is going a bit off-topic but that's an interesting point, Bryn. Do you think that Lyra's Church is aware of their God, aware enough to know they lost him?

I mean our churches have built themselves around the idea of gods and angels...but they don't actually exist. Well, I suppose that's my opinion, but they at least aren't tangible and visible like in Lyra's world.

It seems that the L-world Church was bending over backwards to protect the Kingdom but it didn't seem as though Metatron or anyone else up there was too concerned with destroying Lyra or even helping their followers until Asriel brought the war to them.

Yeah it's an interesting notion, I think it's rather likely that the Church won't notice the absence of the Authority, also there weren't that many witnesses to his demise.
And even if some high ranking official of the Church had seen the Authority die, he probably wouldn't have gone around revealing it to the others back in Lyra's World.
It doesn't show in the books that the Authority or Metatron had much contact with their followers.
brynjarbjorn
Unusual Suspect

Postby cassingtonscholar » Fri May 11, 2007 5:04 am

So then, technically, even if the whole Kingdom of Heaven and everything about it was destroyed, no one would know about it and what PP thinks are the bad things about organized religion would stay the same. So really the battle means nothing. (I hate this stupid loop hole.) Does anyone agree with me?
“‘Tagoona, if I held you by your heels from a third-story window, you would have a problem.’ Tagoona considered this long and carefully. Then he said, ‘I do not think so. If you saved me, all would be well. If you dropped me, nothing would matter. It is you who would have the problem.’”--Margaret Craven, I Heard the Owl Call My Name

"Off all the things which man can do or make here below, by far the most momentous, wonderful, and worthy are the things we call books." --Thomas Carlyle

"Plastic bags flew at us like a lost squadron of dehydrated kamikaze jellyfish."--Eric Hansen, Motoring with Mohammed

"I want to travel at the speed of smell." --Anonymous
cassingtonscholar
Gyptian

AOL: pinnipedluver

Postby AUST » Fri May 11, 2007 12:44 pm

Neither, the Republic of Heaven was destroyeed, but it never truely existed anyway and would have lost eventually from natural wastage. However the Kingdom could be said to have lost more-it will eventually fade adn the new republic of heaven will rise.

Short Term: Kingdom
Long: Republic
My Spelling is wobberly. I get all the right letters but they wobble and end up in the wrong order
AUST
Witch

Postby Ultracommando93 » Sat May 12, 2007 5:44 am

cassingtonscholar wrote:So then, technically, even if the whole Kingdom of Heaven and everything about it was destroyed, no one would know about it and what PP thinks are the bad things about organized religion would stay the same. So really the battle means nothing. (I hate this stupid loop hole.) Does anyone agree with me?

I agree with you. In Lyra's world at least, little has changed, except perhaps for the witches, who were aware of the war and the outcome. The Gyptians probably also know. The majority of humanity, I think, is probably oblivious, and the Magisterium will stamp out any memory of it.

For the rest of the worlds, it's probably the same, although those that gave a lot of support may have been altered.
Ultracommando93
Armoured Bear

Postby Leif » Sat May 12, 2007 6:01 am

The world of the dead is definitely worth mentioning. Because of Will and Lyra, it's basically obsolete now which is a huge blow to the church. Correct me if I'm wrong, but most religions are driven by the promise of an afterlife. According to the church, people who followed their guidelines would go to heaven when they die, and the rest would go to hell. This, of course, ended up being a lie; everyone went to the world of the dead. But now there is another option.

Unfortunately, we don't know if the living know this. Near the end of TAS, there seems to be a fair amount of rational people who believe Lyra's story. So, unless we get answers in tBoD, I think it'll stay a mystery...
Leif
Doesn't have a uterus

Postby Ultracommando93 » Sat May 12, 2007 7:12 am

Leif wrote:Unfortunately, we don't know if the living know this. Near the end of TAS, there seems to be a fair amount of rational people who believe Lyra's story.

Not enough to change the viewpoint of most of the world, a world which is also firmly under the control of a conservative church
Ultracommando93
Armoured Bear

Postby Jez » Sat May 12, 2007 3:07 pm

But at least when people die, they won't be stuck in what is basically a prison camp. That's got to be some kind of victory, hasn't it, even if most people aren't aware of it?
Jez
Absolutely Uncertain

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Wed May 16, 2007 3:48 am

Yes, it's one of those crucial battles which make life (and death) a whole lot better for everyone, but the people who made the changes will never be recognised.
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby Lyra_B_S » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:05 am

Lyra survived, so Asriel won.
Lyra_B_S
Grazer

Postby DarkKnightJRK » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:23 pm

Lyra_B_S wrote:Lyra survived, so Asriel won.

To add to that, Lyra and Will completed the prophesy put upon them that the Kingdom didn't want to happen, so the Republic did win the battle.

But the war hasn't really even ended--the ending of Spyglass has Lyra planning to rebuild the Republic in her world, so really, the battle ended in a semi-stalemate.
DarkKnightJRK
Zalif

Yahoo Messenger: CapedCrusaderJRK
AOL: DarkKnightJRK

Postby daemonpurra » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:16 am

You really thought that over, but I completely agree. That makes it 1 Asriel, 1 Authority. Wait the Authority died so doesn't that make the war over?
Mrs. Coulter sounds like a sexy criminal mastermind
daemonpurra
Gyptian

Postby yesac113 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:59 pm

doesn't at the end it says the church actually got stronger?
The fall didn't kill you....
It's the sudden stop that did.
yesac113
Grazer

Postby AUST » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:15 pm

yesac113 wrote:doesn't at the end it says the church actually got stronger?
For a short period, but it then started to fight amongst itself.
My Spelling is wobberly. I get all the right letters but they wobble and end up in the wrong order
AUST
Witch

Return to “%s” The Amber Spyglass