The Republic of Heaven

Could Lyra and Will have failed?

Discuss the concluding book of the trilogy

Could Lyra and Will have failed?

Postby AUST » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:17 pm

Just another point on the many world theory. I know most of maths behind it (It all ahppens on a sub-atomic level guys,) but technically everytime ANYTHING changed then another dozen or so Lyras and Will would have split off, millions every second.

So basically, Lyra and Will could not have failed, becuase one of the versions of them would have made the right choice, in fact millions of them probably made it...

I know it's all hypothetical but it is a probalem with a plotline that presumes the 'many worlds' theory is true.
My Spelling is wobberly. I get all the right letters but they wobble and end up in the wrong order
AUST
Witch

Postby bethanwy » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:33 pm

Here's a thing I've always wondered. If Lyra hadn't sneaked in to the retiring room, and Asriel had been murdered, and then Roger hadn't been taken by the Gobblers, would Lyra and Roger have fallen in love?
bethanwy
COVERED IN BEES

Postby AUST » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:13 pm

siren_darkstarr wrote:Here's a thing I've always wondered. If Lyra hadn't sneaked in to the retiring room, and Asriel had been murdered, and then Roger hadn't been taken by the Gobblers, would Lyra and Roger have fallen in love?

:) I get the point.

And yes they would...

in some universe...

somewhere everyone falls in love.
My Spelling is wobberly. I get all the right letters but they wobble and end up in the wrong order
AUST
Witch

Postby silversong » Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:47 am

You could, of course, make the argument that because Lyra is Eve, she would get the privilege of being the only Lyra...or perhaps the Authority eliminated some of the other Lyras, so eventually there was only her...am I getting through? :roll:

And Lyra and Roger...there is that bit TAS, in the world of the dead, the the ghost Roger notices the more than friends to the core connection Lyra and Will have. I think I remembered him being sad or envious, because it was his Lyra, his leader. Then again, wouldn't someone as...volatile, or dramatic as Lyra be better matched with someone of equal strength and vigor?
"Blame is for God and small children." Papillon
silversong
Armoured Bear

Postby AUST » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:55 am

silversong wrote:You could, of course, make the argument that because Lyra is Eve, she would get the privilege of being the only Lyra...or perhaps the Authority eliminated some of the other Lyras, so eventually there was only her...am I getting through? :roll:

And Lyra and Roger...there is that bit TAS, in the world of the dead, the the ghost Roger notices the more than friends to the core connection Lyra and Will have. I think I remembered him being sad or envious, because it was his Lyra, his leader. Then again, wouldn't someone as...volatile, or dramatic as Lyra be better matched with someone of equal strength and vigor?

I'd agree with that point, it's almost impossable to think of Lyra being iwn love with Rodger, he's just too weak.

Thats certainly a arguement, but could the authority eliminate that many lyras?
AUST
Witch

Postby DP » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:17 pm

I've wondered about this before. To be honest if you think about it too much, you just end up going in circles so i think for the sake of the story it's best to grant PP a few creative liberties at this point. :wink:
DP
Grazer

Postby silversong » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:02 pm

[AUST wrote]
[Thats certainly a arguement, but could the authority eliminate that many lyras?]

But is there only one authority, or could there be more than one? Without the exact odds, it's a little hard to guess...[/b][/quote]
silversong
Armoured Bear

Postby AUST » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:55 pm

silversong wrote:[AUST wrote]
[Thats certainly a arguement, but could the authority eliminate that many lyras?]

But is there only one authority, or could there be more than one? Without the exact odds, it's a little hard to guess...[/b]
[/quote]
There could be millions (using the wstring theory there ARE millions) after all the Authority is just the 'leader' of the church, there coluld be hundreds of 'gods' leading imaginary relgions. The Authoritys just the biggest one.
AUST
Witch

Postby Elanorielle » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:53 pm

Here's a thing I've always wondered. If Lyra hadn't sneaked in to the retiring room, and Asriel had been murdered, and then Roger hadn't been taken by the Gobblers, would Lyra and Roger have fallen in love?

I don't think so.
At first we can talk about destiny of the heroes, about the prophecy about Lyra, but that's not convincing. =)
Moreover, Lyra and Roger were just friends that played together. A lot of things had influenced Lyra and Will so that they fell in love: they had experienced all their adventures, they had travelled to the land of dead, at last they had met Mary and she told them stories. Lyra has changed a lot. The "old" Lyra wouldn't ever have thought about love and so on, she would have been childish.

(Grrrrr, I think my english is awful and I'm beginning to forget how to speak this wonderful language :evil: :cry: )
Homo homini lumen est
Elanorielle
Grazer

Yahoo Messenger: elanorielle@yahoo.com

Postby Soapy » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:30 pm

Wait, why would Roger've not been taken by the Gobblers because of Asriel's death?
The Sraffie Formerly Known As hermit
Soapy
President Lesbian

Postby AUST » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:34 pm

yeah, he'd still ahve been taken...
AUST
Witch

Postby The Funny Man » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:55 pm

Guys, no where in the books does it ever say there are copies of people in every world. Lyra just thought that because of Boreal/Latrom being in both. So there was only one Will/Lyra set. It's kind of like yall's infinite number of subtle knives theory; there was an artifact like it that deals with dust, like the alethiometer, but not the same thing in every world.
"And Shepards we shall be, for thee my lord for thee. As power has flowed forth from thy hand, so that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. And we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomine Patris, et filii, et Spiritus Sanctus."
The Funny Man
Gyptian

AOL: bob_saget@yahoo.com

Postby silversong » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:04 pm

But would PP have mentioned the other copies of people if it wasn't relevant?
silversong
Armoured Bear

Postby AUST » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:43 pm

Mot Pulk wrote:Guys, no where in the books does it ever say there are copies of people in every world. Lyra just thought that because of Boreal/Latrom being in both. So there was only one Will/Lyra set. It's kind of like yall's infinite number of subtle knives theory; there was an artifact like it that deals with dust, like the alethiometer, but not the same thing in every world.

I was just saying that, according to the theory, millions of Lyras and Wills are created at every second.
AUST
Witch

Postby Huginn » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:20 am

According to certain theories. We don't really know if any of these theories conform to the multiverse of HDM.

The general notion of parallel worlds in our reality would involve every arrangement of everything in the universe imaginable many times over. There would be versions of you that never visit this forum, that already have children, etc. Basically every decision--nay, beyond that, every interaction between even the smallest particles--happens in every way possible, and each time there are different possible outcomes, another universe is formed.

However, if we try to apply this idea to HDM, it starts making less sense. It would mean that, while there are versions of Lyra and Will that succeed, there are others who fail. While there is the world of the dead that they visit and free the dead from, there is another in which they might not get past the harpies?

Then there's more than one Authority, many of whom might claim to be God? And yet there's no mention of this whatsoever.

I think we have to say that the many worlds of HDM account for different possibilities for what could have happened, but strictly speaking, they can't account for all possibilities, or else there would be some hint of this.

In other words, there are certain things about HDM-verse that are universal even across the many worlds. The world of the dead, for example. It'd be easy enough to introduce an alternate HDM multiverse in which things do happen differently, but for some reason, it would have to be cut off from the one we know.

It's better to look at the HDM reality as one that is just one reality, instead of many parallel worlds. It's just got different layers to explore.
It just is.
Huginn
Idiocy Reincarnate

AOL: huginn372

Postby Jez » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:46 pm

Huginn wrote:However, if we try to apply this idea to HDM, it starts making less sense. It would mean that, while there are versions of Lyra and Will that succeed, there are others who fail. While there is the world of the dead that they visit and free the dead from, there is another in which they might not get past the harpies?

That would also mean that there are infinite versions of the world of the dead? But clearly in the HDM world there is intended to be only one world of the dead.

The infinite number of worlds theory doesn't work very well with HDM. I think it was stressed several times in the books just how unique Will and Lyra are. They have a destiny to fulfil and only they can do it. The idea of many other Wills and Lyras who failed doesn't mesh with that notion in my opinion.

I prefer to think of the HDM multiverse having a finite number of worlds. Once you get into all this mathematical probability stuff, I'm completely lost.
Jez
Absolutely Uncertain

Postby Somewhat » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:26 pm

As a friend of mine said: "With infinite universes everything is possible, and that is the problem."
Sraffie Awards 2008: Sexiest Male Sraffie // Formerly known as moonflash. Avatar courtesy of the lovely Bee.

"Can I make you a sandwich?"
"Okay - but no mayo. And no raisins, or celery. And no peas. No love, no joy, no future. No mushrooms."

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby AUST » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:51 pm

Jez wrote:
Huginn wrote:However, if we try to apply this idea to HDM, it starts making less sense. It would mean that, while there are versions of Lyra and Will that succeed, there are others who fail. While there is the world of the dead that they visit and free the dead from, there is another in which they might not get past the harpies?

That would also mean that there are infinite versions of the world of the dead? But clearly in the HDM world there is intended to be only one world of the dead.

The infinite number of worlds theory doesn't work very well with HDM. I think it was stressed several times in the books just how unique Will and Lyra are. They have a destiny to fulfil and only they can do it. The idea of many other Wills and Lyras who failed doesn't mesh with that notion in my opinion.

I prefer to think of the HDM multiverse having a finite number of worlds. Once you get into all this mathematical probability stuff, I'm completely lost.

It took me a while to udnerstand it.
AUST
Witch

The creation of the worlds.

Postby Peter Regel » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:00 pm

I can't remember wether it was a theory posted here, or if it was actually written in the book, but somewhere I read that a new world was created every time a choice took place, or when an incident had several possible outcomes. Anyway, if this is so, how come we don't come across a Will from yet another world who also meets another Lyra in Cittagazze? If there were an almost infinite amount of worlds, wouldn't at least a bunch of the Wills therein find their way to the same Cittagazze? Wouldn't there perhaps somewhere, in some world, be a Will and a Lyra who failed to destroy death and so on?
Anyway, just a few thoughts. I haven't thought them through very thoroughly, but still, I would love it if someone would give me their thoughts.
Peter Regel
Grazer

Postby Soapy » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:39 pm

There's a discussion about this in an already existing thread, so I shall merge this with that.

It's here
The Sraffie Formerly Known As hermit
Soapy
President Lesbian

Return to “%s” The Amber Spyglass