The Republic of Heaven

Authority's End

Discuss the concluding book of the trilogy

Authority's End

Postby Jez » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:13 pm

This scene has got me thinking recently. The way God dies... well, it's an anti-climax really. There's all this talk about a war in Heaven and fighting against the Authority... then along come Lyra and Will and they kill the Authority by accident! They don't even realise who he is.

Why do you think Pullman chose to write the scene that way?

Is it part of Lyra and Will's destiny to destroy the Authority? I wondered if perhaps it has some connection with the fact that Lyra is supposed to fulfil the prophecy in ignorance of what she is doing. Will's father also believed that it was his son's task to fight the Authority. But in the end they don't even need the knife to destroy God.

Why did Pullman make the Authority so weak? Does it in some way represent the corruption of the Church?
Jez
Absolutely Uncertain

Re: Authority's End

Postby Jamie » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:23 pm

In my eyes part of it is representative of the way a lot of archaic religious believers cling on to old ideals and teachings that are clearly outdated. Much the same way that the Authority's Guard won't let him free from his crystal cage even though he's clearly happy when he's able to die.

The reason I don't think there was a huge scale epic struggle to overcome the wrathful almighty was because Pullman obviously wanted to show that even children in their innocence are still valuable and capable and, I dunno, there's something fitting about a being so old being swept aside by youth.

If you want to know what makes me sad
Well it's hope, the endurance of faith
A battle that lasts a lifetime
A fight that never ends

Walking in the countryside
It seems that the winds have stopped
Tell my mother I am sorry
And I loved her
Jamie
Microphone Fiend

Postby Jez » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:32 pm

Jamie wrote:In my eyes part of it is representative of the way a lot of archaic religious believers cling on to old ideals and teachings that are clearly outdated. Much the same way that the Authority's Guard won't let him free from his crystal cage even though he's clearly happy when he's able to die.

I never thought of that. I like that interpretation.
Jez
Absolutely Uncertain

Postby Diolmhain » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:38 pm

I concur heartily...

mod edit: seriously, you know the rules. Post something with substance.
totally totally totally
Diolmhain
also available in blue

Postby Somewhat » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:48 pm

Jamie wrote:In my eyes part of it is representative of the way a lot of archaic religious believers cling on to old ideals and teachings that are clearly outdated. Much the same way that the Authority's Guard won't let him free from his crystal cage even though he's clearly happy when he's able to die.

The reason I don't think there was a huge scale epic struggle to overcome the wrathful almighty was because Pullman obviously wanted to show that even children in their innocence are still valuable and capable and, I dunno, there's something fitting about a being so old being swept aside by youth.

This is why I see the last movie not working like the LotR movies. There's hardly a battle. The entire book is Lyra and Will's journey.
Not that this thread has anything to do with the movie or anything :P.
Sraffie Awards 2008: Sexiest Male Sraffie // Formerly known as moonflash. Avatar courtesy of the lovely Bee.

"Can I make you a sandwich?"
"Okay - but no mayo. And no raisins, or celery. And no peas. No love, no joy, no future. No mushrooms."

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby Diolmhain » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:36 pm

ahh i disagree..
What about the battle with asriel's forces and metatrons?
I know it's not as big and explodey as LotR but heck if hollywood won't make it exactley like that nobody can...
totally totally totally
Diolmhain
also available in blue

Postby Slizer » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:58 pm

nice postie there jamie. And yes they are gonna have troubles with the movie still I would say.
Poker! is a game of skill ,
Elmo is a tiger Elmo Roar Elmo Hunt Elmo climb Elmo eat Elmo wash Elmo Zzz
Slizer
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:33 am

The way the Authority was killed is similar to the way everything happens in HDM - in the way you'd least expect it. It's like how Lyra has to go about fulfilling her destiny without being aware she's doing it, because otherwise it won't work. They have to kill the Authority without being aware of the incredible, momentous, history-changing thing they're doing, because otherwise, they would stop, and think about it, and waste time, and maybe not do the right thing (if there is a right thing to do) Do that make sense?
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby Stargirl » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:43 pm

He's not even really the Authority anymore though, he's god but had no uthority himself. It's sort of a mercy killing anyways. I remember that they say something about his facial expression being "bewildered delight" or somehting like that, implying he was happy. Which I would think he would be. To return to the universe is better than being kept locked up in a crystal coffin. I don't think that it was in their "destiny" but I think it was better that they did it than him being killed by the Regeant or whatever they had planned for him.

Es mejor morrir parada que vivir en tus rodillas."
Ernesto "Che" Guevarra Lynch de la Serna

It is better to die standing than to live on your knees.
Ernesto "Che" Guevarra Lynch de la Serna
Stargirl
Si te amo

Postby occlith » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:08 am

Jez wrote:Will's father also believed that it was his son's task to fight the Authority. But in the end they don't even need the knife to destroy God.
Although the knife is not used against the Authority, the knife is used to cut through the crystal to release him, bringing about his end indirectly.

Why did Pullman make the Authority so weak?

The Authority is not the creator, he is the oldest angel. He then lied about his creative power to the angels that came into being later.
Does it in some way represent the corruption of the Church?
Interesting idea. Metatron thought the Church was corrupt and too weak.
Customer since 2 Aug 2004...This is a very small font
occlith
Grazer

Postby Jez » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:42 pm

Stargirl wrote:I remember that they say something about his facial expression being "bewildered delight" or somehting like that, implying he was happy. Which I would think he would be. To return to the universe is better than being kept locked up in a crystal coffin.

Yes, it is like they've actually done him a favour. I suppose when you've lived for so long, it's a relief to finally let go. Which brings up another question: why did Metatron want the Authority to be kept alive, even if only for a little longer?

occlith wrote:Although the knife is not used against the Authority, the knife is used to cut through the crystal to release him, bringing about his end indirectly.

That's true. So the knife was necessary in the end. But I'm sure I'm not the only one who imagined a battle where Will actually had to fight the Authority and use the knife as a weapon, rather like he kills the Spectres.

occlith wrote:The Authority is not the creator, he is the oldest angel. He then lied about his creative power to the angels that came into being later.

Yes, I know, but I think you missed the point. Pullman could have made the Authority an immensely old and strong angel (i.e. like Metatron). Why didn't he? Why make the Authority a gibbering wreck and create Metatron to take over?

I still like Jamie's idea but I wonder where Metatron fits in that interpretation. Perhaps Metatron represents the corrupt version of God, the one that men twist to fit their own ideals. Metatron's style is basically using his power to oppress - very much like religious leaders use the authority of their god to do the same.
Jez
Absolutely Uncertain

Postby occlith » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:38 am

Jez wrote:Pullman could have made the Authority an immensely old and strong angel (i.e. like Metatron). Why didn't he? Why make the Authority a gibbering wreck and create Metatron to take over?

That may be Pullman's way of saying that one tired, old religion can be replaced or ousted by another newer one, but that doesn't mean it's better and that it may be worse.
Customer since 2 Aug 2004...This is a very small font
occlith
Grazer

Postby Angel to follow » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:32 am

It relates to alot of political situations in our own society actually, if you think of it like that.
Lauren-Jane

I have a great mind to believe in Christianity for the mere pleasure of fancying I may be damned.
George Gordon
Angel to follow
Queen of Wonderland

Postby SpaceTraveler » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:25 am

I always thought it was meant to be ironic that wind, which is traditionally a symbol of God's power, is what destroyed the Authority. Compare to Genesis 1: "In the beginning when God created the heavens and the earth, the earth was a formless void and darkness covered the face of the deep, while a wind from God swept over the face of the waters." God's word or breath is also symbolized by wind several times in the Bible.
SpaceTraveler
Grazer

Postby The Funny Man » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:12 pm

I think it's kinda funny, ya know. The old "Kill em with kindness" adage. But I think a cool fight scene between Will and Metatron would have been better. But meh, he was a pansy about killing.
"And Shepards we shall be, for thee my lord for thee. As power has flowed forth from thy hand, so that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. And we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomine Patris, et filii, et Spiritus Sanctus."
The Funny Man
Gyptian

AOL: bob_saget@yahoo.com

Postby Jamie » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:15 pm

Mot Pulk wrote:But I think a cool fight scene between Will and Metatron would have been better.

Thank ~*iguana*~ you're not Weitzy then.

But meh, he was a pansy about killing.

That's about as stupid as comments get on these here boards really; congratulations.

If you want to know what makes me sad
Well it's hope, the endurance of faith
A battle that lasts a lifetime
A fight that never ends

Walking in the countryside
It seems that the winds have stopped
Tell my mother I am sorry
And I loved her
Jamie
Microphone Fiend

Postby Ian » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:29 pm

Mot Pulk wrote:But meh, he was a pansy about killing.

It's always like that for me ... get in there for the kill, then lose heart at the last moment :(
We must build the republic of heaven in our world...

Is this heaven?...No, it's Iowa

I sell discount books, so sue me

Times are tight, and starting a band is good way to kill some time until the economy picks up
Ian
The Frog Prince

Postby AUST » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:19 pm

First off he's an old man, and old, old angel. he's got no power, he's got no strength, why should his death matter more than the others? I'd say he has an incredably dramtic ending-just look at the scene-just like the millions of others who are dying defending/attacking the Fortress.
My Spelling is wobberly. I get all the right letters but they wobble and end up in the wrong order
AUST
Witch

Postby The Funny Man » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:01 pm

How was that stupid? I'll honor the fact that he's willing to do it if necessary, but every time he kills somebody, he leans over and pukes!! That doesn't sound like a very strong moral code to me. When you're in that kind of a situation, it's kill or be killed. There's no sense in worrying about it when it's already been done. It bugs me that they call him a murderer, too. In both cases, he only killed in self-defense. That's called justifiable homicide and we don't convict people for that. so CHILL!! Oh, yeah, I didn't say I wanted Will to fight Metatron. I just watched the Matrix again, and that was stuck in my head. I was kidding about that.
"And Shepards we shall be, for thee my lord for thee. As power has flowed forth from thy hand, so that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. And we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomine Patris, et filii, et Spiritus Sanctus."
The Funny Man
Gyptian

AOL: bob_saget@yahoo.com

Postby Huginn » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:13 pm

Okay, people, let's have civil discussion and settle down. Fair?

I think what you have to understand about Will is that he isn't the type of person to have a thick shell when it comes to doing horrilbe things that need to be done. That's just the way he is.

As for being called a "murderer," bear in mind that the alethiometer is, to my recollection, the only thing that calls him that, and Lyra actually respects him for that. It seems plausible to me that calling him a murderer, in this sense, is not a reproach as we would normally think of it.
It just is.
Huginn
Idiocy Reincarnate

AOL: huginn372

Return to “%s” The Amber Spyglass