The Republic of Heaven

30,000 Happy Years of Dust

Discuss the concluding book of the trilogy

Postby EngineerScholar » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:35 am

I tend to wonder if Dust was somehow behind the many 'coincidences' that occured so many times in the Dark Materials story. If Lyra hadn't tried to sneak into the Retiring Room, Lord Asriel would have been dead, and she may not ever have went north. If Will hadn't seen the cat on the road with the hornbeam trees, he would never have entered Cittagazze..and so on. I tend to think that Dust might influence things and events in the 'Dark Materials' universe just as it influences things like the alethiometer, or the I Ching stalks. I can easily agree with Yelbakk's statement that in the Dark Materials universe, 'Dust is, in a way, God'.

EngineerScholar
EngineerScholar
Grazer

Postby Soapy » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:41 am

I don't really see Lyra's entering the Retiring Room as a coincidence. She's Lyra, she does that kind of thing it's not like there was chance at work that made her happen to be there, she went in there herself for the specific purpose of being in there.

But Dust being behind the other coincidences is a possibility
The Sraffie Formerly Known As hermit
Soapy
President Lesbian

Postby EngineerScholar » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:06 am

hermit wrote:I don't really see Lyra's entering the Retiring Room as a coincidence. She's Lyra, she does that kind of thing it's not like there was chance at work that made her happen to be there, she went in there herself for the specific purpose of being in there.

But Dust being behind the other coincidences is a possibility

I certainly agree that sneaking into the Retiring Room was just the sort of thing that Lyra would do. But that she chose to do it on the very evening that the Master chose to poison Lord Asriel seems like quite a coincidence to me!

EngineerScholar
EngineerScholar
Grazer

Postby Jez » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:08 am

EngineerScholar wrote:I tend to wonder if Dust was somehow behind the many 'coincidences' that occured so many times in the Dark Materials story.

Yes, it does seem like Dust has its own agenda, doesn't it? The alethiometer doesn't just stop at information, it also gives instructions. Also when Mary communicated with Dust via the computer, it gave orders.

From this, it seems to me that Dust is a collective consciousness... not just individual particles floating around. Somehow they have a sense of unity. Any thoughts?
Jez
Absolutely Uncertain

Postby Soapy » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:15 am

Jez wrote:
EngineerScholar wrote:I tend to wonder if Dust was somehow behind the many 'coincidences' that occured so many times in the Dark Materials story.

Yes, it does seem like Dust has its own agenda, doesn't it? The alethiometer doesn't just stop at information, it also gives instructions. Also when Mary communicated with Dust via the computer, it gave orders.

From this, it seems to me that Dust is a collective consciousness... not just individual particles floating around. Somehow they have a sense of unity. Any thoughts?

Well, my take on that is that Dust was clearly ordering Mary and Lyra to do what is best for human kind, well for conscious beings anyway. Its agenda, if you take Dust as being consciousness itself, was to protect or progress its own existence.

That is, when you think about the message Pullman was putting across, a good thing. Being curious and wise and conscious is a good thing, and it's what the Republic of Heaven is supposed to represent so you could in a way say that Dust's agenda is the same as our agenda.

And they clearly do have a sense of unity.
The Sraffie Formerly Known As hermit
Soapy
President Lesbian

Postby Melancholy Man » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:32 pm

hermit wrote:
Melancholy Man wrote:Yup, I'm actually a 14 year old girl. :?

Nah, Sally's 16 anyway.

I tried to hit upon someone named Sally the other day. Suffice to say, it didn't work.
==========================================

That accent o' yers, are ye frae Holland like me?

Visit an almost daily photo-diary of the Hyperborean North.

View the Hyperborean North from a Rabbit's Eye View

CURRENTLY READING ==> The Economist
Melancholy Man
Yoruba Warlock

Postby Enitharmon » Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:06 pm

Melancholy Man wrote:I tried to hit upon someone named Sally the other day. Suffice to say, it didn't work.

Tart!
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by the age of eighteen (Albert Einstein)
The Book of Enitharmon
Currently reading: Vanity Fair by William M Thackeray
Enitharmon
Ageing Drama Queen

Yahoo Messenger: swanofkennet
AOL: SwanOfKennet

Postby Tomsy » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:57 am

Melancholy Man wrote:
hermit wrote:
Melancholy Man wrote:Yup, I'm actually a 14 year old girl. :?

Nah, Sally's 16 anyway.

I tried to hit upon someone named Sally the other day. Suffice to say, it didn't work.

*Takes off wig*

Mwahaha.
When in doubt, castle.

Image Image Image
Tomsy
Ain't no passing craze

Postby The Funny Man » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:46 pm

Whoa, that's, kinda creepy. But anyway, I do think dust intervened every now and then. But I don't think it picked up Lyra and threw her in there. I think it just stimulated an idea.
"And Shepards we shall be, for thee my lord for thee. As power has flowed forth from thy hand, so that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. And we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomine Patris, et filii, et Spiritus Sanctus."
The Funny Man
Gyptian

AOL: bob_saget@yahoo.com

Postby Somewhat » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:16 am

Correction: "Whoa, that's, kinda Alec."

I think that when a handy monitor isn't available, that's the only way Dust can communicate.
I was wondering if Dust can take control of daemons, considering they are made of it to some degree.
Sraffie Awards 2008: Sexiest Male Sraffie // Formerly known as moonflash. Avatar courtesy of the lovely Bee.

"Can I make you a sandwich?"
"Okay - but no mayo. And no raisins, or celery. And no peas. No love, no joy, no future. No mushrooms."

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby PhoenixsTears » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:37 am

My idea of dust is that it was sin..because remember it attracts to adults and adolecents more than children because typically adults are more sexually active and do a lot more grown up things than children such as smoking/drinking etc etc. So basically I thought the church hated dust because dust is a form of free will or-sin.
PhoenixsTears
Grazer

Postby AlexbroPA » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:59 pm

But who's the judge of sin? If we assume that the church is under the sway of the Authority, and the church defines what was "original sin," whats not to say that "original sin" is just a term created by the Authority to try and further suppress conscious thought?
ba
dum
*tssh*
AlexbroPA
Grazer

AOL: AlexbroPA+2004

Return to “%s” The Amber Spyglass