The Republic of Heaven

Alternate Ending

Discuss the concluding book of the trilogy

Alternate Ending

Postby Blackdragon » Tue May 10, 2005 2:18 am

I don't know if there is a topic already like this but if there is feel fre to lock it but at least give me your feedback and tell me where i can find the other thread.

I am a person that for some reason loves happy endings so naturally i wanted them to end up together but i have thought of a good ending that would still let PP finish it in the garden like he said he always planned.

Since the Angel said they could take care of the specters they could easily take care of maybe one or two more especially if they werent all at once.

so heres my ending,
PP could have had them go to the world of the dead and inform the dead that the window was just to be closed until Will and Lyra were near their death and then opened back up when they didnt have much time left, than they could have closed it and opened one up between their worlds every ten yearswhen they needed to gather their strength again, and then they could have lived together and it could have ended with them sitting on the same bench but with their children... and it wouldnt tell the rest of their lifes but what would happen is that they would open up the world of the dead towards the end of their lifes... a couple years to wait for the person that was freeing you from eternity wouldnt be so bad... and the angels could have taken care of the very few specters that were formed

Tell me what you think and feel free to make your own ending
Blackdragon
Witch

Postby Ian » Tue May 10, 2005 5:03 pm

I don't there's a thread like this (is there?), but the they decide they can never open windows, because they don't even want to inflict just one spectre on the multiple universes. Sad as it is, PP's way of ending the books is a very good one.
We must build the republic of heaven in our world...

Is this heaven?...No, it's Iowa

I sell discount books, so sue me

Times are tight, and starting a band is good way to kill some time until the economy picks up
Ian
The Frog Prince

Postby Blackdragon » Tue May 10, 2005 7:50 pm

Yes i do agree that it is good because it opens your imagination to what comes next but come on a couple more specters wont hurt anyone
Blackdragon
Witch

Postby Tomsy » Tue May 10, 2005 8:06 pm

HDMisgreat wrote:Yes i do agree that it is good because it opens your imagination to what comes next but come on a couple more specters wont hurt anyone

You think that they'll just kick back on the grass with a glass of ice cool lemonade and a slice or two of Battenburg?
When in doubt, castle.

Image Image Image
Tomsy
Ain't no passing craze

Postby writteninveggies » Tue May 10, 2005 9:43 pm

It was just the ending of a book, not of a story. The story never ends, but a book has to, so that's just the spot where Pullman found right to end it. Who knows what happened after that. Thus, I think it was perfect.
writteninveggies
Witch

AOL: writteninveggies

Postby Dante » Tue May 10, 2005 9:49 pm

HDMisgreat wrote:Yes i do agree that it is good because it opens your imagination to what comes next but come on a couple more specters wont hurt anyone

Jack Nicholson Spectre:

Come on, baby, I'm not gonna hurt you... I'm just gonna plunge you into a pit of infinite depression and misery and depression before sucking your soul out... Gonna suck it right the ~*iguana*~ out!
Dante
Kombucha Mushroom Person

Postby Blackdragon » Tue May 10, 2005 10:26 pm

Yeah i guess it was the proper ending cause there are too many books and movies that end perfect... but heres another question, do u think they will ever even see each other again because remember how the angel told them there was a way to travel with their minds to other worlds that was way more than pretending; maybe they learn to do this. Do you think so?
Blackdragon
Witch

Postby Somac » Wed May 11, 2005 2:08 am

Hmm, to your first question...I actually thought about it after reading it. Why couldn't they just leave a second window open somewhere hidden? Wouldn't that have just been one more specter? O_o
Somac
Grazer

AOL: EO+Somac

Postby Blackdragon » Wed May 11, 2005 3:47 am

yeah but then more dust would leak out but i mean it couldnt be that much
Blackdragon
Witch

Postby Ian » Wed May 11, 2005 7:31 pm

Somac wrote:Hmm, to your first question...I actually thought about it after reading it. Why couldn't they just leave a second window open somewhere hidden? Wouldn't that have just been one more specter? O_o

Erm...because they have a conscience? I'm sure they actually debate all the credible possibilities in the book, but discredit them all?

Times are tight, and starting a band is good way to kill some time until the economy picks up
Ian
The Frog Prince

Postby modernmike0005 » Thu May 12, 2005 6:23 pm

I've just realized something!

When lyra wanted to go to the Botanic Garden, will opend and closed a window out ofd his own world. then when it was time to go, he opened a window back into his own world. thats one extra window spent. they could have spent twenty years together just with those two openings, and they were wasted just like that. :roll: :( :evil:
modernmike0005
Gallivespian Spy

AOL: modernmike005

Postby modernmike0005 » Thu May 12, 2005 6:24 pm

sorry i accidentally double posted.

I hate the slow school computers
Last edited by modernmike0005 on Fri May 13, 2005 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
modernmike0005
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Blackdragon » Thu May 12, 2005 8:02 pm

true that deals with the fact that they wouldnt have to worry about making more specters but that window is not very well hidden so it is a poor spot and then there is the fact about the dust leaking out
Blackdragon
Witch

Postby modernmike0005 » Fri May 13, 2005 2:06 am

I don't think you quite understand

The only option will has is to periodically open and close openings every ten years so that they don't die. If he did this, specters would be created and would reek havock among the living.
I'm not sure exactly how the chain of events went after will found out about the knife making specters. But I am sure that he made more than one opening.
All i',m saying is that if he was so concerned about people being attacked by specters, he wouldn't have made that extra one or two extra openings.
modernmike0005
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Ian » Fri May 13, 2005 7:05 am

Yeah, but the angels were going to close all windows and get rid off all spectres, so in that case it was OK. The problem is, people won't accept that in terms of how the universe works, the two should never have met. It was a beautiful relationship, but they couldn't actually stay together, because then all universes would have been forced back together with catastrophic consequences...or something like that.

Ian
The Frog Prince

Postby Gabe » Fri May 13, 2005 7:14 am

Hmmm...I always kinda thought that the subtle physics offset or whatever between the universes would cause so much damage to someones daemon that they'd be just about ready to keel over by the time ten years rolls around (daemon damage causing heart damage)...in other words, they might not die until around after ten years spent in another universe, but they're going to be in pretty poor health. They might be able to just barely make it through twenty years together without croaking, but it sure would suck. :?

Of course, the theories here are rather small sighted...there are other ways around things.
Gabe
Unicluster Theologian

Postby Blackdragon » Sat May 14, 2005 8:23 pm

Yeah i get what you said now modernmike i thought you meant that could keep that window open to go through, but yeah it doesnt seem like hes really to worried
Blackdragon
Witch

Postby maneki neko » Tue May 17, 2005 2:12 pm

I'll play devil's advocate here and say that it'll be so much sadder if they are chained to each other so much that they still want to see each other one last time 50 years on.

And 50 years will change a person a lot. Who knows what experiences W&L'll have had separately? Who knows if the W&L of the future are still recognizable as *our* W&L?

Better for them that they remain forever young and golden in each other's memory.
So that imagination and memory are but one thing,
which for diverse considerations hath diverse names
maneki neko
Gyptian

Postby vegsinPA » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:34 am

I would have had them stay in the world of the mulefa. Here's mine:

They find those closest to them (and have them bring willing mates) and bring them back there. For ten years they can all be happy and have kids. Then they die, but their kids are fine because they're born in that world. Besides, Jhon parry was kind of old. Will and lyra are young and adaptable. They could possibly have a slightly longer lifespan.
vegsinPA
Grazer

Postby Blackdragon » Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:54 pm

You have been told in other thread but if you didn't see them. STOP POSTING IN DEAD THREADS.
Blackdragon
Witch

Return to “%s” The Amber Spyglass