The Republic of Heaven

Baruch and Balthamos sexuality debate

Discuss the concluding book of the trilogy

Baruch and Balthamos sexuality debate

Postby Joss » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:03 am

How can an entity with no sex or gender have a sexual preference?

The angels mainly took the forms of humans to:
A) make it easier for the humans seeing them and
B) easier for readers.

It's way too late to be flicking through the books looking for quotes, so I'm afraid I'm gonna have to state all of the above with no actual proof... if anyone knows the passage by heart... or has the book handy, you're more than welcome to quote it...

They epitomise PLATONIC love
(http://www.dictionary.com...)

Transcending physical desire and tending toward the purely spiritual or ideal

Just because they take the form of men (buff men, albeit, didn't help...) and are deeply in love, doesn't mean they are gay. It means they are amorphous, spiritual entities who share a special bond and just happened to choose the form of humans.

Rargh!
Joss
Grazer

AOL: devilgabrielx

Postby Max » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:21 am

While technically they arguably don't qualify as homosexual in any human sense, they are clearly meant to be perceived that way by the reader. Which is what matters.
Max
Guardian of the Thesauri

Postby jessia » Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:19 am

i've argued angels sans genitalia and therefore no sexuality before, but for the sake of the argument...

from philip pullman's liber angelorum, a web feature on the random house website for the subtle knife,

liber angelorum wrote:Passions
Angels have no passions or affections, except one, which is curiosity, or intellectual passion. This is for them the highest of all things. However, others maintain that although they have few feelings for fellow angels, they are capable of love for creatures of other kinds. Some say that the Watchers fell in love with the daughters of men and had offspring by them. That was so long ago, and so many generations have mingled since, that we can all claim to be the descendants of angels.

Rebellion

Sex
Angels may be male or female.

so to answer your

Joss wrote:How can an entity with no sex or gender have a sexual preference?

in philip pullman's world of his dark materials (the world which we argue this insignificant detail in context of), angels do have a sex/gender and therefore can be sexual and therefore have a sexual presence.

and yea, what max said.
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby Max » Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:16 am

liber angelorum wrote:Passions
Angels have no passions or affections, except one, which is curiosity, or intellectual passion. This is for them the highest of all things. However, others maintain that although they have few feelings for fellow angels, they are capable of love for creatures of other kinds. Some say that the Watchers fell in love with the daughters of men and had offspring by them. That was so long ago, and so many generations have mingled since, that we can all claim to be the descendants of angels.

Interesting page that.. Angels of Curiosity - Spectres of Indifference? Sentient matter - Sentient void? Come from Dust - Come from Abyss? Gave humans spirit - Take human spirit? I'd never seen them as diametric counterparts like that before.
Max
Guardian of the Thesauri

Postby Dante » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:49 am

Don't forget that Baruch was once a man, and that Balthamos saved him from the world of the dead. Also, the idea that they're homosexual is against the Church.
Dante
Kombucha Mushroom Person

Postby Enitharmon » Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:57 pm

As there are other, lengthy, threads covering this topic I'm locking this one.

La Gobbler- these other threads have vanished of the edge of the universes, so this thread is open once more.
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by the age of eighteen (Albert Einstein)
The Book of Enitharmon
Currently reading: Vanity Fair by William M Thackeray
Enitharmon
Ageing Drama Queen

Yahoo Messenger: swanofkennet
AOL: SwanOfKennet

Postby Roonil_wazlib » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:37 am

Baruch was once a man so Balthamos must have also looked like a man to him. Baruch, being a man, would have looked like a man to Balthamos. To me, they are gay. Isn't it also hinted at that Baruch was disowned by his brother for some reason, being gay perhaps? I don't think being gay would prevent you from becoming an angel, the church is wrong about many things.
Roonil_wazlib
Grazer

Postby Grumman » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:05 pm

Dante wrote:Don't forget that Baruch was once a man, and that Balthamos saved him from the world of the dead. Also, the idea that they're homosexual is against the Church.

But they are against the Church... Pullman is actually making a statement here.
Grumman
Armoured Bear

Postby Soapy » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:04 pm

Grumman wrote:
Dante wrote:Don't forget that Baruch was once a man, and that Balthamos saved him from the world of the dead. Also, the idea that they're homosexual is against the Church.

But they are against the Church... Pullman is actually making a statement here.

I think that was Dante's point for them being gay...

*waves at Dante*
The Sraffie Formerly Known As hermit
Soapy
President Lesbian

Postby Caunion the Frost Lord » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:29 am

Yes I think Baruch and Balthamos are gay. And as for the thing about angels not having a gender, I think you're wrong there

Metatron was seduced by Mrs. Coutler which proves that angels did have a gender and can feel lust or love.
[img:ed568710c0]http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c77/FrostLord20/Pictures/rasalghul1mini.jpg[/img:ed568710c0]
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" -Douglas Adams
"Whatever you want to do in this world, it is achievable." -Steve Irwin

Those two are in Catan
Caunion the Frost Lord
Grazer

Postby silversong » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:59 am

But...why did the creator make them, angels, with gender, when theoretically he could have flawless, untemptable beings at his command?
"Blame is for God and small children." Papillon
silversong
Armoured Bear

Postby Somewhat » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:00 am

I think the Creator stuffed up on that front again, although that's a pretty weak argument. In fact, very good point Silversong. :D
Sraffie Awards 2008: Sexiest Male Sraffie // Formerly known as moonflash. Avatar courtesy of the lovely Bee.

"Can I make you a sandwich?"
"Okay - but no mayo. And no raisins, or celery. And no peas. No love, no joy, no future. No mushrooms."

- Buttercup Festival
Somewhat
Raustralian

Postby Grumman » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:57 pm

silversong wrote:But...why did the creator make them, angels, with gender, when theoretically he could have flawless, untemptable beings at his command?

To let the plot thicken? :)
Grumman
Armoured Bear

Postby Soapy » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:31 pm

silversong wrote:But...why did the creator make them, angels, with gender, when theoretically he could have flawless, untemptable beings at his command?

It's up for debate whether there was a creator at all.

If there was, he certainly wasn't a perfect one.
The Sraffie Formerly Known As hermit
Soapy
President Lesbian

Postby *Aurora*Traveler* » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:03 pm

Pullman wanted to make a statement against the church. Baruch and Barthalmus ARE gay, even though lots of people have been saying that they aren't. It is sortof like giving the church the finger, since it is so against homosexuality.
The road goes ever on and on, down from the door where it began
Now far ahead, the road has gone, and I must follow if I can
Pursuing it with eager feet, until it joins some larger way,
Where many paths and errands meet, and whither then? I cannot say.
-J.R.R.Tolkien
*Aurora*Traveler*
Grazer

Postby Blossom » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:15 pm

They're not homosexual to spite the church, they just like each other.

Not sure whether they're actually gay or not, since Pullman's angels are different to those referred to in the biblical texts. If they were traditional angels, then they'd feel comradship, and maybe even love but not sexual feelings.

I don't see why it matters anyway, it's clear that they love each other, no matter if it's sexual or not. I highly doubt they were having a sexual relationship at any rate.
Blossom
Brigade Leader

Postby Aimee » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:27 pm

Baruch was a man BUT bartholmous(cant spell sorry :oops:) was not a human. So technically they are not gay (I think)
Sorry if this is wrong
The worlds a mess. And I just need to rule it.
Aimee
Gallivespian Spy

Postby *Aurora*Traveler* » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:05 pm

Well, of course they aren't just gay to spite the church. I meant Pullman wrote it that way to do that.
The road goes ever on and on, down from the door where it began
Now far ahead, the road has gone, and I must follow if I can
Pursuing it with eager feet, until it joins some larger way,
Where many paths and errands meet, and whither then? I cannot say.
-J.R.R.Tolkien
*Aurora*Traveler*
Grazer

Postby Selkie » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:58 pm

This was probably one of my favourite things about TSK.
Gay angels. It is beautiful.

While I know there is a deeper, less human meaning to their presences, and they do not stand as symbols of gay rights in the book, I felt that they showed what homosexuals have been fighting for in terms of having the right to be in love. They were Love, and that what they truly represented.

When Balthamos learned of the loss he was so deeply heartbroken, and I found it utterly beautiful. He could have faded into nothingness at that moment, but he carried on, and I just remember my own heart jolting at that part.

What this means to me in more world related terms is that it does not matter who you love--- even in the context of homosexuality. You cannot make definitions between what is right and wrong, because their love was so sincerely powerful that there is no reason for it to be.
If people could be that much in love, how could anyone want to stop it?
That's the way I interpreted it, anyway.

Gay angels. What more could you want in a book?
"My name is forever here, never spoken and always asked
My belly is against these stones,
The cold water sliding off my back.
My heart races with the advancing fog; I linger
As another boat is shipwrecked
In the tide."

The Selkie Waits.
Selkie
Zalif

Postby Rachaman » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:22 am

I'm sure this has been talked to death, but what the heck...

While it is technically true that neither were human, and one had never been human, Phillip Pullman IS human and wrote those characters fully intending the comparison to be made.

They are, by current societies lens of perception, gay angels. Whether they were capable of having physical relations or not is entirely, and deliberately, not important.

You can argue the mechanics if you'd like, but you'd be missing the point.
Rachaman
Armoured Bear

Return to “%s” The Amber Spyglass