The Republic of Heaven

dust leakage

Discuss the concluding book of the trilogy

Postby eloquent » Thu Sep 11, 2003 9:37 pm

Pyr wrote:the law of consevation states that all the energy in the universe is the same as when the universe was first created.

Is that a law? I always thought it was just common sense... I mean you can't use energy, it just gets spread out and then re collected by stars etc.
eloquent
Professional Delinquent

Postby Daniel » Thu Sep 11, 2003 9:40 pm

It's a "law" when you study normal physics, but it doesn't hold on the quantum level (unless you give everything infinite potential energy, in which case the law doesn't mean anything at all).
*sigh* Well, at least you tried.
Daniel
Tinkerer

AOL: polveroj

Postby jessia » Thu Sep 11, 2003 9:52 pm

energy's basically gained and released... same with matter.
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby Celestial Madness » Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:09 pm

I agree with jessia, Dust can't be destroyed (conservation laws of physics).

an atomic blast is when matter is created and energy is destoryed, so the law doesn't apply everywhere, and might not apply to dust.
I have a truly marvellous life which this signature is too narrow to summarize within.

Celestial Madness
Angle of Repose

Postby Sartaeus » Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:40 pm

First off, during a nuclear blast, nothing is completely destoryed or lost. When atoms break apart they lose a little mass (i.e. the sum of the masses of the two daughter atoms are less then the mass of the original one). That would be pretty weird, but I'm sure of you seen the videos of nukes and the aftermath and I think its not hard to see that the lost mass is transformed into energy (E = m*c*c).

In addition, HDM has is world based very much in real science, so I think Dust is a transformed particle, not merely created. They are created by conscious thought and learning. How are they lost? Just like when you blast an atom apart, when you put it back together mass is gained and energy is lost. However, reversing the action of being conscious and learning is probably more complicated than simply forgetting and losing self-awareness. Remember, PP never actually created a situation where Dust was actually destroyed, merely lost to the abyss (either via specter or right into the abyss).

I couldn't really speculate much on the abyss though.

[Edit]

Wait, somethings not right... how would we gain power from fusion? I think I need to read the textbook a bit more :?. I remember a graph of... i think it was nuclear bond energy vs atomic mass, and it peaked at iron, and I know that when stars being to fuse elements heavier than iron they lose energy in the process... and something about quantum tunnelling. Anyone read one of the HDM science books, kuz with those out I don't think they'd give this information away for free.
Sartaeus
Grazer

Postby BenRoshi » Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:32 am

since dust is concious, it probably tries to avoid teh abyss. Like when Mary saw it flowing away, and thought it was trying to fight it, like it didn't want to go. So there is probably more too it then just diffusion.
hm... this side up, cool I can read upside down!

BenRoshi
Zalif

AOL: heeroyuans

Postby Sartaeus » Fri Sep 12, 2003 1:54 am

Ben has a point there too. The specters actively sought out Dust, why wouldn't the abyss (and possibly the knife, "Do you know the knife's intentions?") seek out dust too? If Dust is attracted to concious beings not by some physical property but by choice that means it can control its movement somewhat.
Sartaeus
Grazer

Postby jessia » Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:39 am

perhaps, but the spectres actively sought out dust, while the abyss can't really move, can it...
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby Pyr » Fri Sep 12, 2003 3:59 am

see...a conscious particle...no matter how much thought went into it, it doesnt exist, and therefore you cant hold that the laws of physics apply to it
whats the thing about youngs double slit experiment that proves the alternate universe theory or that electrons remember or something crazy like that....
Pyr
Witch

Yahoo Messenger: donthaveoneoftheseeither
AOL: doesntwork

Postby Rose of Sharon » Fri Sep 12, 2003 11:24 pm

Interesting, very interesting...if you're worried about the spontaneous generation thing about Dust, though, one possible theory is that it does take energy for consious thought -- electrical impulses in the brain take energy. Dust could be created from a surplus of that kind of energy.

But that's kind of unnecessarily complicated. :D *shrugs* oh well, I won't worry about it too much...
Let us go singing as far as we go: the road will be less tedious. -- Virgil
Rose of Sharon
Zalif

AOL: hurleybl

Postby Pyr » Sat Sep 13, 2003 2:35 am

does anyone of you brilliant and more learned people know about youngs double slit experiment?
Pyr
Witch

Yahoo Messenger: donthaveoneoftheseeither
AOL: doesntwork

Postby Sartaeus » Sun Sep 14, 2003 5:53 am

It proved the wave-particle (wavicle?) nature of electrons and later, more nucleons. All matter has wave properties and all waves have matter properties (though not necessarily mass). It had nothing to do with parallel universes. I don't think anyone's done an expiriment to prove or disprove the existence of parallel universes although there are several theories that would explain them (superstring for instance)
Last edited by Sartaeus on Sun Sep 14, 2003 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sartaeus
Grazer

Postby Sartaeus » Sun Sep 14, 2003 5:56 am

Rose of Sharon wrote:if you're worried about the spontaneous generation thing about Dust, though, one possible theory is that it does take energy for consious thought

That what I was thinking, plus, I think maybe the Abyss is the equivalent of a black hole to Dust. That would be something that causes such a great attraction of Dust that it can't escape. This would mean there is one VERY concious being in the Abyss. Then again, it could just be some very weird hole.
Sartaeus
Grazer

Postby AySz88 » Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:16 am

Hmm, perhaps it is a vaccum, except that the gap is smaller than an electron?

[edit]But that wouldn't explain the abyss...
- Don't let your processing power go to waste! Volunteer Your PC and fight against cancer and more!
- My nickname looks like alphabet soup to people, so I go by "Soup".
<-- That's my dæmon! (Celierra, ce-lee-air-ra) - "wei" means "my dæmon/human and I"
Okibi on dæmons in this forum
Life is much more like a soap opera than most people think.
Tom Stoppard wrote:No problem is insoluble given a big enough plastic bag.
- On the National Theatre's plastic bags.
AySz88
Celierra, Red Fox

Yahoo Messenger: AySz88
AOL: AySz88

Return to “%s” The Amber Spyglass