The Republic of Heaven

Grand Theft Auto 4: Thread of Hype

Discuss Video games and other technology

Grand Theft Auto 4: Thread of Hype

Postby Darragh » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:00 pm

Platform(s): Xbox 360, Playstation 3, PC (this fall)
Release Date: April 29
Developer: Rockstar North
Publisher: Rockstar Games and Take Two
Downloadable Content: Xbox 360 (2 add ons in the future), Playstation 3 (while there hasn't been a confirmation, we should still expect something)
Game modes: Single player and multiplayer (16 players maximum)
Physics Engine: Euphoria
Graphics Engine: RAGE

Summary

Niko Bellic - a veteran crook, sex slave trafficker, and murderer, comes to America with one belief: that he will be able to experience the American dream and start over. His cousin Roman tells him, through exchanged emails, that he has a mansion, tons of women, and more cars than he really needs. Niko naively believes him, hoping for some escape from the current life he leads, and leaves Russia for the capital of the world: Liberty City.

He finds that his cousin Roman was actually lying to him. Roman has no status or wealth, he only owns a poor Taxi business in the middle of Broker. He owes some people money, as he easily swindles his money gambling. It is apparent from the trailers and the outset of the game that Roman is in a fix. Obviously it's up to Niko to set things straight, but at the expense of disregarding his wish for a new life and have revert to his old ways right out the gate. R* says that the game, unlike past GTA's since Vice City, is not a rags to riches story; it is a rags to slightly better rags story akin to GTAIII. Rockstar says that today living the life of a criminal is hard ass work, and will attempt to reflect this in the story and gameplay - this means a more brutal GTA, a more realistic GTA. The final trailer emphasizes what it is like being a criminal in the modern age: the guys you are working with are on their last legs, and Niko is their last hope to success. Remember, everyone's a rat.

Brooklyn is called Broker
Manhattan is called Algonquin
Queens is called Dukes
The Bronx is called Bohan
New Jersey is called Alderney

Staten Island will NOT appear in the game.

Official Website

*Small spoilers*

Details

- The game will be much harder than past entries. The days where you walk up to any car and jack it are over, as are the days where you simply have to run to a pay and spray to get the heat off of you.

- While the game is not as big as San Andreas, it has more detail and R* is going for less wasted space.

- The police system has been entirely retooled. You will not instantly become wanted whenever you commit a crime now, even in public. If there are no cops around, and someone sees you, they will have to notify the police. It sounds extremely similar to The Warriors, it sounds like. When and if you commit a crime in public and the police are notified, a circular search area will appear on your radar. The fuzz will go on high alert. If you are outside of this area the cops will not be able to find you unless you commit another crime. If you are spotted in the circular area, the police will follow you to that location. Thus, if you are sneaky, they will not know where you are.

- You can trick police to get rid of wanted level. Since there's no Pay and Spray you must use other ways to get rid of wanted level: changing your clothes (especially if they are bloody); switching cars to confuse the police; running into someone's house, out the back, and on to their fire escape, among other things.

- Many interiors are fully decorated and have been given a much bigger emphasis and importance on gameplay.

- While the game does not have planes, it does have helicopters.

- Targeting system has been retooled. It has a Resident Evil 4 and Gears of War like targeting system.

- Some cars are locked, so you will need to strategize escape routes more thoroughly this time. In order to unlock locked vehicles, breaking the window is necessary, as is hot wiring the car. Obviously, under a chase this will make things more hectic.

- Missions are far more dynamic now and have a different structure. Many missions start at specific times now, similarly to Shenmue. If a train leaves at 10:00 am and you arrive at 10:01 am, you fail the mission. Missions also happen on specific days. If it's Monday, sometimes you will have a mission that starts on Wednesday. You can obviously do other missions in between or come up with a plan. Rockstar wants to blur the difference between story missions and non story based missions.

- Missions have been completely retooled. Now, you do not have a giant arrow over someone's head if they are your target. Let's say you have to kill a target, but he's surrounded by a group of people. You do not know who is who. You can handle this in multiple ways. You can find out his phone number, call him up, see if he responds, and kill him; or you can simply go up to the entire group and kill all of them. The choice is up to you. Of course, if you do the latter choice, your boss may be pissed off...

- Depending on how well and what you do during missions, you can form relationships with your bosses and clients. If you do good, kill your targets discreetly, you will have a good relationship. If you do things in plain sight, without using your brains, your boss will most likely hate you and break all contact. It sounds like a great evolution on GTA2's fun, but not exactly deep, respect system. Also, there are points in the game where you have the choice to kill characters. The OXM UK reviewer said he pined over one his decisions longer than he did any moment revolving a Little Sister in Bioshock.

- Maintaining character relationships can result in specific rewards. Little Jacob is the guy who sells you weapons. Your relationship is maintained through phone contact and loyalty. If you boost up his relationship he will give you more powerful weapons.

- As the third trailer hinted, before you gain any sort of weapon, you're going to be using your fists. More emphasis on hand to hand combat will be in GTAIV. It's going to be a while before you get your first gun, Rockstar says.

- There is now a GPS.

- You can push people off of buildings.

- People will react to your weapons. So if you have an rpg out, they will obviously go batshit, which will cause attention to you. Pulling out a pistol will cause pedestrians to call the police.

- People now have vision. The only way you can get caught committing a crime is if someone sees you. So if you kill someone in an empty alley, the police won't randomly be notified any longer. Either a police officer is going to have to be in the vicinity or a pedestrian will have to call the police on the phone.

- The days where you carry millions of cash on you are over. You can now use atms or go to the bank to deposit or withdraw funds.

- Every cop car has a working computer, which allows you to search for any criminal in the city, find his where abouts, and any thing remotely related to him or her. Should be handy if you need information on a target.

- You now have a cell phone, which allows Niko to call the police, 911, the fire department, or any number in the game. pedestrians will even call you on accident.

- Car damage is more realistic now. Various parts of the car can be damaged, making it hard to drive in certain situations. For instance, if your tires get bent from an accident, it is much harder to drive after the fact.

- The game's story is longer than San Andreas and should take around 100 hours if you take your time and do every thing.

Multiplayer

Modes

1. Hangmans NOOSE
2. Car Jack City
3. Bomb da Base
4. Bomb da Base II
5. Mafia Work
6. Team Mafia Work
7. Deathmatch
8. Team Deathmatch
9. Turf War
10. Cops N Crooks
11. Race
12. GTA Race
13. Deal Breaker
14. Free Mode
15. ???

- Multiplayer mode can support up to 16 players.

- The entire city will be opened during this mode.

- Player customization will be available in the multiplayer mode.

- The host makes the rules. You can turn toggle lock on/free aim, how many pedestrians are on the streets, weather, vehicle types, .

-Health, armour and cash pickups are available during multiplayer. The cash determines your online rank - from 0 to 10. Kill people and steal their money to boost your online credibility.

- The higher your online rank, the more you can customize your character.

- You have a choice between both male and female characters, and there is a variety of clothing for each which you can buy using money that is earned during multiplayer. You can't play as Niko in multi player, however.

-You can wander anywhere during multiplayer, but if you die you will respawn in the area that the host has set.
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Re: Grand Theft Auto 4: Thread of Hype

Postby Darragh » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:02 pm

You guys are too hyped to post I can tell so check out the GTA4 ad aired in Ireland no less.

Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Postby Jamie » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:29 pm

My brother came in with a grim expression on his face and said he needed to talk to me yesterday. He said 'Jamie, it's getting serious now. Unless we get a move on, there's a possibility that GTAIV could come out and we not have a next gen console to play it on.' I haven't seen him so worried in years. We both agreed that this couldn't happen and I think we've settled on an Xbox 360.

Suggestions for the best deals to get and where to get them would be greatly appreciated! Should we splash out on some MegaDelux deal with 15 games and infinite hard-drive space? Or would it better to get some sort of basic package and buy the most important titles second-hand? Loyalty to Sony appears to be at an end...

If you want to know what makes me sad
Well it's hope, the endurance of faith
A battle that lasts a lifetime
A fight that never ends

Walking in the countryside
It seems that the winds have stopped
Tell my mother I am sorry
And I loved her
Jamie
Microphone Fiend

Postby Diolmhain » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:41 pm

I'm considering upgrading my computer's graphics carrd for this... or in the unlikely event of me coming into some cash, buying a 360

On dark nights i have considered trading in my wii... but no with ssmb coming out... among other things...
*checks specs, knowing fully well that his computer is not up to scratch*
totally totally totally
Diolmhain
also available in blue

Postby Darragh » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:50 pm

Jamie wrote:My brother came in with a grim expression on his face and said he needed to talk to me yesterday. He said 'Jamie, it's getting serious now. Unless we get a move on, there's a possibility that GTAIV could come out and we not have a next gen console to play it on.' I haven't seen him so worried in years. We both agreed that this couldn't happen and I think we've settled on an Xbox 360.

Suggestions for the best deals to get and where to get them would be greatly appreciated! Should we splash out on some MegaDelux deal with 15 games and infinite hard-drive space? Or would it better to get some sort of basic package and buy the most important titles second-hand? Loyalty to Sony appears to be at an end...

199+GTA4

I'd see this as a great deal, you don't really need an Elite 360 unless you have an obsessive compulsive disorder that stops you from deleting things off hard drives. You will need to buy a "charge and play kit" good rechargable battery pack for the controller.

Buying the basic package an upgrading it to a premium console costs alot more. (hard-drive, wireless headset, wireless controller) The accessory pricing from MS is disgusting.

You are right to get a 360 though of that there is no doubt however you actually have to get a ps3 too to play MGS4...out in June. :wink:

I'm considering upgrading my computer's graphics carrd for this... or in the unlikely event of me coming into some cash, buying a 360

On dark nights i have considered trading in my wii... but no with ssmb coming out... among other things...
*checks specs, knowing fully well that his computer is not up to scratch*

Don't trade it. You'll get more on ebay but you are right to hold on to it. Mario Kart is aces online. Wiifit is out next week too. WIIFIT! ... high five anyone?.....no-one? :(

GTA 4 IS OUT IN 11 DAYS!
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Postby L and M » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:17 am

No, I wouldn't trade in my Wii...but yet again, here is another game that is not coming out on the Wii. First Resident Evil 5 (Yeah, we got Umberella Chronicals but we want Resident Evil 5, people), then GTA4. Thats not to mention Assasins Creed and a number of other games. Then again, we get Mario games, which just beats anything!
Sorry, this is a bit off topic.
On the bright side, my friend has a 360, so I'll get to play GTA4 on his. :)
Yo yo! I'm currently the forums least quickest poster. :)... Probably.
L and M
Armoured Bear

Postby TheKnifeBearer » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:59 am

GTA4 sounds AMAZING! Me and my friends have already decided to make a "crew" for team online games.

Sounds like it is going to have everything San Andreas didn't and I can say I really not to bathered about it being smaller, all SA was was woodland and desert which was good but kinda crappy as well.

Suicide Penguin!

XBox Live Gamertag: ShadowWesker44 - Add Me!!! 8)
TheKnifeBearer
Zalif

Postby Diolmhain » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:25 pm

I would like to retract what I said about not trading in my wii... because i am...
It's not just for GTA though... assasin's creed and resi 5... and much much more... My long long sworn nintendoism is over...
Oh well, anyone wanna buy a wii with seven games and two controllers?
:P
totally totally totally
Diolmhain
also available in blue

Postby Darragh » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:54 pm

Assasain's Creed is not a good game and only a year to wait for Resi 5!

(Bioshock, Call of Duty 4, Lost Oddysey, Halo 3, PGR4 etc are good reasons though :P)
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Postby L and M » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:31 pm

The Wii is getting Resi5 in a year? Really? Yeah, but by that time, everyone will have heard about it and know all the story...Can't the Wii just get games at the same time as other consoles? :(
L and M
Armoured Bear

Postby Diolmhain » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:03 pm

Meh... wether assasin's creed is a good game or not is beyond the point... I WANT IT!
Are you positive that the wii is getting resi 5? It was my understanding that the Wii wasn't able to handle the AI or... er..... ehh.... Meh
Anywho, i'm still going for the trade in... I just feel that with the wii is getting a good game once every six months and the other two getting truckoads of 'em, the 360 is the way forward
I'm letting down the side... I know... still...
*shuffles off*
(and yes bioshock looks pretty sweet as do the others... excpet for Modern Warfare.. played it in my cousins, really seemed to be just the same old war game with a bit of glitter thrown over it)
But back on topic, me and my best friend have decided on having a weekend long GTA-Fest once one of us has it, which I am looking forward too. Ofcourse there is also the sad fact that GTA sleepovers break freindships...
totally totally totally
Diolmhain
also available in blue

Postby Darragh » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:04 am

I never said it was coming out on the Wii. I said it won't be out until next year. :P

360 is teh best but Wii has plenty of good gamez. Also, you'll get more on ebay than trading in and getting ripped off.
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Postby Diolmhain » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:41 pm

I knew it wasn't coming out on the wii! Yes I mis-read you.
Ebay 'tis then, thanks for that piece of information,I wouldn't have thought of that because I'm a bit of an idiot...
totally totally totally
Diolmhain
also available in blue

Postby L and M » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:37 pm

Indeed, sorry, I also mis-read you. Sure, the Wii has a lot of good games. Just none, like Resi5, etc. But yeah, I see what you mean, the Wii does have some good games, so I woudn't trade mine in or sell it.
Sorry, if this seems like I am moaning, Im just a little annoyed at the fact that my friend who has a 360, keeps saying the Wii is rubbish, even though he has one...
L and M
Armoured Bear

Postby Darragh » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:22 pm

L and M wrote:Indeed, sorry, I also mis-read you. Sure, the Wii has a lot of good games. Just none, like Resi5, etc. But yeah, I see what you mean, the Wii does have some good games, so I woudn't trade mine in or sell it.
Sorry, if this seems like I am moaning, Im just a little annoyed at the fact that my friend who has a 360, keeps saying the Wii is rubbish, even though he has one...

Wii does have a game exactly like Resi 5...Resi 4! Definitive version....*cough*. I think a Resi 5 spin-off with Resi 4 controls would be nice on Wii.

Both consoles over alot that the other doesnt. On 360, the is nothing close to Zelda, Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, MArio Kart or Wii Sports. On Wii there is nothing close to Bioshock, Halo 3, PGR4, CoD4 or Oblivion. Though weighing it up 360 line up is stronger sure, if you like games. People just like to say "wii is rubbish" because they don't like it's popularity imo.

ANYWAY.....

6.5 DAYS TO GOOOOOOO!
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Postby L and M » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:30 pm

You make fair points, Darragh. You have just inspired me to try and fail to complete Zelda: Twilight Princess again. :) And to buy Mario Kart.
Oh, and yeah, sorry, this is a little off topic.
L and M
Armoured Bear

Postby Qu Klaani » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:28 pm

When is this coming out on a machine worthy of the series?

GTA on consoles just feels wrong to me.
Qu Klaani
Idi Admin

Postby Darragh » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:06 am

No one knows. Estimated "Fall" release, I hope it's this year anyway. There is slow down and texture pop-in aplenty on console versions but at least they got rid of the auto lock targeting system on consoles...

The reviews:

1UP.com: A+
Empire: 5/5
Eurogamer: 10/10
GameDaily: 10/10
GameInformer: 10/10
GamePro: 5/5
GameReactor: 10/10
GameSpy: 5/5
GamesRadar (360): 10/10
GamesRadar (PS3): 10/10
IGN UK: 10/10
IGN US: 10/10
LEVEL: 10/10
OPM UK: 10/10
OPM US: 5/5
OXM UK: 10/10
PSM3 France: 20/20
PSW: 10/10
TeamXbox: 10/10
EGM: A+, A+, A
GameTrailers: 9.8/10
Xbox World 360: 98%
CVG: 9.5/10
OXM US: 9.5/10

1 DAY TO GO
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Postby L and M » Fri May 02, 2008 6:40 pm

Well? Is it good? Anybody? No? All too busy playing it, I suppose...*sigh* :roll:
L and M
Armoured Bear

Postby kezmondo » Sat May 03, 2008 1:15 pm

IT'S AWESOME. BUYITBUYITBUYIT.
Hush, the babies are sleeping, the farmers, the fishers, the tradesmen and pensioners, cobbler, schoolteacher, postman and publican, the undertaker and the fancy woman, drunkard, dressmaker, preacher, policeman, the webfoot cocklewomen and the tidy wives. Young girls lie bedded soft or glide in their dreams, with rings and trousseaux, bridesmaided by glowworms down the aisles of the organplaying wood.

::Under Milk Wood by Dylan Thomas::
kezmondo
Gallivespian Spy

Return to “%s” Ganondorf's Tower