The Republic of Heaven

HDM The Game - developer chosen!!!

Discuss Video games and other technology

HDM The Game - developer chosen!!!

Postby andrewds » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:56 pm

I received an email from Scholastic today it states that:

Hello Andrew,

Thank you very much for your interest in Northern Lights, but we have already hired a company to create a video game.

Best Wishes,
Suzanne Lauchaire

Andrew
andrewds
Grazer

Yahoo Messenger: andrewdswallow

Postby Darragh » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:04 pm

"It's in the game" no doubt.

Damn E.A.
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Postby Ripper » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:16 pm

Do they still use the slogan?
Ripper
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Darragh » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:33 pm

E.A sports do i think, regular e.a games is "challenge everything". Well I challenge them for being ~*iguana*~ tards.
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Postby Gabe » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:07 am

Ha ha, so they really are making a game? :lol:
Gabe
Unicluster Theologian

Postby Ian » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:16 am

Oh! I was hoping Lucas Arts would get this one. An Escape From Monkey Island style game would have had some appeal.
We must build the republic of heaven in our world...

Is this heaven?...No, it's Iowa

I sell discount books, so sue me

Times are tight, and starting a band is good way to kill some time until the economy picks up
Ian
The Frog Prince

Postby Gabe » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:28 am

LucasArse sucks now. They don't have any of their adventure game people there anymore anyway. But yeah I agree an adventure game would definitely suit HDM well. Give it to Telltale I say. 8)
(That's where all of LucasRats' adventure game people went...they got pissed off and started their own company)
Gabe
Unicluster Theologian

Postby Admiral Valdemar » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:55 pm

Hey, the guy saying "EA sports, it's in the game!" is David Hayter, A.K.A., Solid Snake. That's cool at least, though the rest of EA can burn in hell, only game I got off them in the last few years was C&C: Generals and really, that was Westwood rebranded. They assimilate everything now.
"I'll get this back to you."
"You'd better, or I'll kick your ass. That's a good lighter."

-Apollo & Adama, Neo-Battlestar Galactica
Admiral Valdemar
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Revenant42 » Wed May 31, 2006 3:13 pm

E.A. always make ~*pineapples*~ formulaic film spin offs. Oh how I wish for the glorydays of Lucasarts.

HDM is not good game mateiral, though palying as a panserbjorne ripping christians to shreds would be amazing, or bieng part of the great battle int he last book, and it would have to be HUGE. I would not like to play as Lyra or Will tohugh, they're not 'game' characters.
Revenant42
Grazer

Postby donkey_booter » Wed May 31, 2006 3:22 pm

OH GOD! :shock:

*crosses self*

That's going to suck so much.....
donkey_booter
Don't Panic!

Postby KittyKat » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:21 pm

OMG! a game of it?! wha-at? how can they recreate those magical stories with pixels...????? how????
*memo to self - buy it anyway*
Jellybaby?

Now I'm through my hyperactive kid stage, and into moody teenager stage of evolution. ~*iguana*~ off!

The topic or post you requested does not exist

I can't get the piccie in, but I am Post Whore Sraffie '07.
Honest.

If you see a leaf blow past you in the wind...
it's the metaphor for my sanity and I lost it again. Please call 0800 - 555 - 666 to claim your 10p reward.
KittyKat
Angel

Location: Where troubles melt like lemon drops (that's where you'll find me on weekends)

Postby mtbanger » Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:28 pm

Revenant42 wrote:HDM is not good game mateiral, though palying as a panserbjorne ripping christians to shreds would be amazing, or bieng part of the great battle int he last book, and it would have to be HUGE. I would not like to play as Lyra or Will tohugh, they're not 'game' characters.

I agree... theres making a play and movie, that barable(sp?) but a game.. ow this is just sad... especialy when E.A are involved... this will be worse than harry potter and the philosephers(sp again?)/sorcerers stone game, (which, for the record, i though was BAD)
Death, It Comes And We Cant Help it But we Can Make Life As Worth While As Possible And Embrace Death With Acceptance And With Life Storys To Tell.(For the harpys)
AND HOW!
mtbanger
Grazer

Postby Mr Anderson » Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:42 pm

£10 says its EA and another £10 says its the worst game since ET back on the Atari 2600. It is simply not game material. What are you going to do ffs, have Lyra run around after Alethiometer power ups? God save us.
IDIOT, n.
A member of a large and powerful tribe whose influence in human affairs has always been dominant and controlling. The Idiot's activity is not confined to any special field of thought or action, but "pervades and regulates the whole." He has the last word in everything; his decision is unappealable. He sets the fashions and opinion of taste, dictates the limitations of speech and circumscribes conduct with a dead-line.
Mr Anderson
Witch

Postby Calix » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:49 pm

Mr Anderson wrote:£10 says its EA and another £10 says its the worst game since ET back on the Atari 2600. It is simply not game material. What are you going to do ffs, have Lyra run around after Alethiometer power ups? God save us.

[dies laughing at how ridiculous that sounds]

Well...since no one here sees how it can be made into a game (I myself can't, really)...does anyone have ANY ideas at all about how to make it game material?
Calix
Witch

Postby KittyKat » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:13 pm

NO idea.
i mean, are they just using the characters? 'cos they can't use the story exactly.... it would be like: OBJECTIVES- RESCUE ROGER FROM LORD ASRIEL (who they will probably change the name of anyway, including more than 50% of the original characters) and how could you, it would spoil the entire storyline throughout the game. stupid, stupid people, for taking this on...whoever it actually is
Jellybaby?

Now I'm through my hyperactive kid stage, and into moody teenager stage of evolution. ~*iguana*~ off!

The topic or post you requested does not exist

I can't get the piccie in, but I am Post Whore Sraffie '07.
Honest.

If you see a leaf blow past you in the wind...
it's the metaphor for my sanity and I lost it again. Please call 0800 - 555 - 666 to claim your 10p reward.
KittyKat
Angel

Location: Where troubles melt like lemon drops (that's where you'll find me on weekends)

Postby Kinders » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:33 pm

Well, you could play Iorek fighting Iofur; Lyra finding a way out of Bolvangar and settings the daemons free; um, that's all I can think of, apart from all of the other action set-pieces that'll be added to the film... :shifty:

I joined this forum shortly after turning 17, and for several years was liable to be
any combination of angry, self-righteous, naive, uninformed, curt and belligerent.
Luckily this teenage attitude is only occasionally evident in my posts - but where
it is, I apologise, and ask you to read them with the understanding that I am no
longer quite so consumed by any of those characteristics.

My website
Kinders
Good egg

Postby Mr Anderson » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:43 pm

They'll invent some garbage where Lyra runs around, jumping over gobblers, collecting Alethiometers, and generally butchering the story until all semblance of meaning is gone. Quality is of little object when combined with strong marketing, as long as it will sell they will make it.
IDIOT, n.
A member of a large and powerful tribe whose influence in human affairs has always been dominant and controlling. The Idiot's activity is not confined to any special field of thought or action, but "pervades and regulates the whole." He has the last word in everything; his decision is unappealable. He sets the fashions and opinion of taste, dictates the limitations of speech and circumscribes conduct with a dead-line.
Mr Anderson
Witch

Postby Gabe » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:12 am

Calix wrote:Well...since no one here sees how it can be made into a game (I myself can't, really)...does anyone have ANY ideas at all about how to make it game material?

I and others feel that the only game that could really capture the essence of HDM is a Lucasarts of Olden Days Graphic Adventure game. (Don't look that up; I just pulled it out of my ass) The biggest problem with that would be the exact opposite of the problem with the mindless action games everyone has in mind...for a graphic adventure game, you'd need to add tons more dialogue and back-story to flesh things out. What action there would be couldn't be played (unless you put in some hybrid gameplay elements, which could turn out a bit dodgy), so the game would have to be based around the more cerebral elements of the story, and need to add lots of non-action content. Quite a good thing I think...for dialogue and characters it can offer things not even a book can match, and likewise for the visual and aural elements of movies. It's an entirely unique medium...if one just barely alive.
Gabe
Unicluster Theologian

Postby Calix » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:42 am

I do know what you're talking about. The problem is people today don't have the patience for those, as they want mindless action for entertainment. I personally love the sorts of games you're talking about, but I can understand why the majority of people might not.
Calix
Witch

Postby Darragh » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:37 am

Gabrobot wrote:
Calix wrote:Well...since no one here sees how it can be made into a game (I myself can't, really)...does anyone have ANY ideas at all about how to make it game material?

I and others feel that the only game that could really capture the essence of HDM is a Lucasarts of Olden Days Graphic Adventure game. (Don't look that up; I just pulled it out of my ass) The biggest problem with that would be the exact opposite of the problem with the mindless action games everyone has in mind...for a graphic adventure game, you'd need to add tons more dialogue and back-story to flesh things out. What action there would be couldn't be played (unless you put in some hybrid gameplay elements, which could turn out a bit dodgy), so the game would have to be based around the more cerebral elements of the story, and need to add lots of non-action content. Quite a good thing I think...for dialogue and characters it can offer things not even a book can match, and likewise for the visual and aural elements of movies. It's an entirely unique medium...if one just barely alive.

See Dreamfall 2. :)
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Return to “%s” Ganondorf's Tower