Who are you talking about?
It just is.
Huginn
Idiocy Reincarnate

AOL: huginn372

Postby Trillian » Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:58 pm

Erm, you?

...You're a Christian, right?

(Incase you misinterpreted my post, I just meant to say that you're right in what you're saying)
Trillian
Wanton Antipodean

AOL: tanyadsm

Postby Huginn » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:09 pm

Trillian wrote:Erm, you?

...You're a Christian, right?

(Incase you misinterpreted my post, I just meant to say that you're right in what you're saying)

Me? Well, if pressed to choose, I'd call myself an agnostic (simply because I think saying that "Oh, this is the way things are," etc. is more than a little arbitrary), but then again, I've never really cared, either. I mean, it doesn't seem like it matters. Sure, for someone who believes in higher powers that directly interfere with humanity, I guess it could make a difference, but like I said, to me, that's arbitrary (to use Christianity as an example, there's God: he just exists, with no explanation of why; to me, that makes no sense). Why not some other way? Just because? I find that inherently odd. But that's just me.

I guess that means it's not so impressive, huh?
It just is.
Huginn
Idiocy Reincarnate

AOL: huginn372

Postby All_That_Jazz » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:43 am

Ceph Cepheus wrote:His Dark Materials made me enormously more spiritual, because it showed a vivid and colourful idea of reality and consciousness as a form of matter, and that fascinated me and captivated me like nothing I have read before or since.

It had that same effect on me. It's funny how people characterize it as "anit-god/faith" when it is not that at all.
Walk into splintered sunlight, inch your way through dead beams to another land...

"May all your trails be crooked, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view; where something strange and more beautiful and more full of wonder than your deepest dreams waits for you."
~Edward Abbey
All_That_Jazz
The Nifty

AOL: amsterz42

Postby Hephaestion » Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:47 pm

Bristolian Max wrote:
I'd prefer countryside/wilderness isolation myself. At least five miles between me and any sign of civilisation would be ideal.

Hmm, if there's high ground nearby make it ten miles, and I promise I'll keep my distance, hahahaha.

To Jazz; Ah goody goody! His Dark Materials was a real wake-up call for me to stop being such a miserable sap, saying everything id meaningless and we may as well just keel over if only we weren't so cowardly. I now hate the person I used to be. I have to say in trying to describe my imaginative outlook I found that the style of your avatars fit perfectly. A rather dudey coincidence if I do say so myself.

I'd like to thank Ina, Jaya, Tom and Jamie, and Callum, who was there in spirit. I love you all! { tear }
Hephaestion
half a heart for Albion

AOL: ninepathsmistrod
Location: 'tween the clustered shroud and the boundless ether

Postby Max » Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:41 pm

Bah, those foothills of molehills?
Max
Guardian of the Thesauri

Postby All_That_Jazz » Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:34 am

quoi? My avatar? Foothills?! That, my friend, is Long's Peak, over 14,000 feet - I live in the foothills, at 6,000 some feet. If you think it's a foothill, you should try climbing it. :wink: :P

(actually, you really should - it's an amazing hike. When I went I saw more stars at once than I had ever seen on any other occasion - you have to start hiking by 4 or 5 AM so that you're down from the peak by noon, when the storms come in. )</non sequitur>

Anyway, glad you like it, Ceph. Being in the mountains puts me in the same mood as reading HDM. :)
Walk into splintered sunlight, inch your way through dead beams to another land...

"May all your trails be crooked, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view; where something strange and more beautiful and more full of wonder than your deepest dreams waits for you."
~Edward Abbey
All_That_Jazz
The Nifty

Postby Max » Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:11 pm

All_That_Jazz wrote:quoi? My avatar? Foothills?! That, my friend, is Long's Peak, over 14,000 feet - I live in the foothills, at 6,000 some feet. If you think it's a foothill, you should try climbing it. :wink: :P

Oh no no no no although I can certainly see how you must have thought that, I was referring to the Mendips.

Anyway, glad you like it, Ceph. Being in the mountains puts me in the same mood as reading HDM. :)

YES. It does. Although England has no mountains. But yes, it does.
Max
Guardian of the Thesauri

Postby Qu Klaani » Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:56 pm

Although England has no mountains.

And by England you mean everywhere south of Birmigham, right? :roll:
Qu Klaani
Idi Admin

Postby K!rjava » Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:44 pm

I'm from Malaysia. :P To the curious adventurer, be warned: it's a sweaty kind of place.

-K'java
I find it kinda happy, I find it kinda sad; but the dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had.
K!rjava
Zalif

AOL: kirrjava

Postby Max » Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:02 pm

Qu Klaani wrote:
Although England has no mountains.

And by England you mean everywhere south of Birmigham, right? :roll:

Something has to be 1000m high to be a mountain (according to the Ordinance Survey people). Scarfell Pike [sp], the highest peak in England, is 978 or something. I've climbed it, but at the time it was all cloud from 700m or so upwards.
Max
Guardian of the Thesauri

Postby Qu Klaani » Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:09 pm

Bollocks to them, theres no way Im calling a the pennines a ~*iguana*~ "hill range." Those are ~*iguana*~ mountains.
Last edited by Qu Klaani on Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Qu Klaani
Idi Admin

Postby Will » Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:26 pm

Hugh Grant said that Welsh one was a mountain..
Q: If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God tell you when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
Pullman: Well, I'm retiring, would you like to take it on ?
Will
Homo Sine Deo

Postby Tomsy » Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:07 pm

Will wrote:Hugh Grant said that Welsh one was a mountain..

Snowdon? It is - it's 1085 metres. ~*iguana*~ treck.
When in doubt, castle.

Image Image Image
Tomsy
Ain't no passing craze

Postby All_That_Jazz » Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:47 pm

Mountains aren't necessarily so tall...like Mt. Washington in New Hampshire - hiking it is like hiking a 14er, but it's only 6,000 ft. It's base is at sea level though, so it's just as much of a climb (the difference is the parking lot/gift shop/restaurant at the top, instead of an extremely windy patch of rocks with a little sign-in notebook thing. :roll: ) Also, I live at around 6,000 ft, but not really on or in the mountains, just next to them. It all depends where the base is.

~Edward Abbey
All_That_Jazz
The Nifty

Postby Max » Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:21 am

abc wrote:
Will wrote:Hugh Grant said that Welsh one was a mountain..

Snowdon? It is - it's 1085 metres. ~*iguana*~ treck.

I've been up Snowdon twice. That's a mountain but.. Isn't in England. Ben Nevis of Scotland is the highest peak in GB at 1,343.8m, as you no doubt know.
Max
Guardian of the Thesauri

Postby eniamrahc » Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:20 pm

Just to add in my little bit of nothing: Singapore has no mountains at all. :P Even though Bukit Timah Hill is quite enough to reckon with at times when you get dragged up there.

From the Freedom of Light into the Freedom of Darkness she fades - but her shadow here remains - for so ardent was the radiance of her being. - By the grace of dear Maximillian.
eniamrahc
Misplaced

AOL: enicharma

Return to “%s” Anything Goes - Questions and Polls