The Republic of Heaven

what continent did your folks come from?

Questions about Anything Non-HDM

where did your ancestors come from?

Africa
2%
Europe
78%
Asia
5%
Australia
No votes
North America
8%
South America
No votes
Zanzibar
8%

Total votes : 63

Postby Darragh » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:03 pm

Well the way I see it you are Irish if you act Irish. I don't mind where you are born or who your parents are. Phil Lynott was born in Birmingham to English parents but he is just as Irish to me as any Irish man.

I don't like people who say they are Irish and act differently, say, american even if their parents are irish.

I'd be willying to accept you as Irish Qu Klaani, you have the credentials. :P

Which regional accents can you do?
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Postby Ian » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:15 pm

Qu Klaani wrote: So in other words, feck the yanks, just because they cant get themselves their own culture.

Woooaaah! Take it easy! I never said that the americans were cultured. To be fair, this thread is actually asking where your ancestors came from (even if they only are your parents :roll: ).
We must build the republic of heaven in our world...

Is this heaven?...No, it's Iowa

I sell discount books, so sue me

Times are tight, and starting a band is good way to kill some time until the economy picks up
Ian
The Frog Prince

Postby Qu Klaani » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:32 pm

Which regional accents can you do?

Depends really, I dont do it so much anymore, ...I can do a sort of general northern irish one, which is easy because its very distinct compared to whats considered a "normal" accent, an impersonation of my father (so a Down accent if theres such a thing), the sort of stereotypical irish accent I mentioned just now, which I remember being told was from a particular part of the country (cant remember which,) a really southern one and a couple of others if Im actually in the country, as theyre easy to pick up (its always very funny when I slip into doing it talking to the family, you try being in a room full of drunken irish people and not speaking like them) and a couple of others if Ive been listening to people with strong ones. Of course the problem is you cant actually hear your own voice properly so its hard to tell if you're doing it well, but I can easily convince most english people (not that thats hard.) Oh and how could I forget my personal favourite, the angry northern politician, and the ultimate phrase to utter (or shout) in it:

tuh* britash godernment!

*its so hard to write the ulster way of saying "the"
Qu Klaani
Idi Admin

Postby blueangel » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:52 pm

Im confused then. because i have both an irish and a british passport. I was born in northern ireland but does that make me british or irish or half and half?
blueangel
Small Town Witch

Yahoo Messenger: murphy_olivia

Postby Qu Klaani » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:00 pm

When you're from Northern ireland you seem to be able to be whatever damned nationality want to be...I can never get over people like Paisley describing themselves with as british with such an accent.
Qu Klaani
Idi Admin

Postby Darragh » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:20 pm

Qu Klaani wrote:I can do a sort of general northern irish one, which is easy because its very distinct compared to whats considered a "normal" accent, an impersonation of my father (so a Down accent if theres such a thing)

Yes the Northern Irish accent is quite distinctive. People can either do it or they can't I do a bad one. "No Surrender" and so forth. Counties in Ireland are quite small so the differences between them are quite subtle.

the sort of stereotypical irish accent I mentioned just now, which I remember being told was from a particular part of the country

I know the one, I've never really met anyone that spoke like that. I think it was made up by t.v/film writers personally.

and a couple of others if Ive been listening to people with strong ones. Of course the problem is you cant actually hear your own voice properly so its hard to tell if you're doing it well, but I can easily convince most english people (not that thats hard.)

Indeed.

The Dublin accent is quite distinctive too compared to the rest of the Republic. Alroi, uim(Hard to spell) frum doublin. I'm really bad at writing it actually. We don't like using T's anyway. We tend to just drop them from our alphabeh.
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Postby blueangel » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:18 pm

Darragh wrote:
Qu Klaani wrote:I can do a sort of general northern irish one, which is easy because its very distinct compared to whats considered a "normal" accent, an impersonation of my father (so a Down accent if theres such a thing)

Yes the Northern Irish accent is quite distinctive. People can either do it or they can't I do a bad one. "No Surrender" and so forth. Counties in Ireland are quite small so the differences between them are quite subtle.

Well i come from County Down and our accent is REALLY varied. I mean i live in quite a small town (acctully its the town where Saint Patrick is buried) and you can tell the difference in a person's accent and link them from where they came from - the place i live in is dubbed as a "posh" avenue by the estate next to us and the difference in our accent is very noticable.

Most of Co Antrims accent is very strong and is easyly reconised but my accent is softer making it obvious about where i come from but i guess you have to have the accent just to notice the difference. And some Co Enniscillin (cant spell) in my experence sounds like an irish russin if i could use such terms.
blueangel
Small Town Witch

Postby Darragh » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:43 pm

I'm pleading ignorance on the issue as I haven't talked to a person from every county. I can notice the difference between accents all over Dublin but I don't know if non-dublish people could.
Darragh
Entirely Adequate

Postby blueangel » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:22 pm

Darragh wrote:I'm pleading ignorance on the issue as I haven't talked to a person from every county. I can notice the difference between accents all over Dublin but I don't know if non-dublish people could.

Im not saying what you said in the first place is wrong most of it is right - its just that i would be able to tell the difference as i do have the accent.
blueangel
Small Town Witch

Postby Maler » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:18 pm

hehehe I'm a blend! ok lets see,

2/10 German
1/10 Irish
2/10 English
5/10 Polish

Well that tells a lot doesn't it. Not really much of a blend but hey I think you all are Dupas. lol. I bet you don't know what that means!! hint, hint--Polish, like my last name! :D
Maler
Gallivespian Spy

Postby blueangel » Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:44 am

Maler wrote:hehehe I'm a blend! ok lets see,

2/10 German
1/10 Irish
2/10 English
5/10 Polish

Well that tells a lot doesn't it. Not really much of a blend but hey I think you all are Dupas. lol. I bet you don't know what that means!! hint, hint--Polish, like my last name! :D

Thats alot :shock:
blueangel
Small Town Witch

Postby Leif » Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:47 am

Mr. Translator says he called me an arse :(
Leif
Doesn't have a uterus

Postby Maler » Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:37 am

Mr. Translator says he called me an arse

*gasp*

WHO???
Maler
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Ripper » Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:23 am

I believe I'm actually Danish.
Ripper
Gallivespian Spy

Postby brynjarbjorn » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:05 am

Europe for me, I'm 3/4 icelandic and 1/4 german.
brynjarbjorn
Unusual Suspect

Postby Ian » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:20 pm

You're a fellow Viking. Excellent :D
We must build the republic of heaven in our world...

Is this heaven?...No, it's Iowa

I sell discount books, so sue me

Times are tight, and starting a band is good way to kill some time until the economy picks up
Ian
The Frog Prince

Return to “%s” Anything Goes - Questions and Polls