The Republic of Heaven

A Level/degree/etc Choices

Questions about Anything Non-HDM

A Level/degree/etc Choices

Postby Max » Tue May 18, 2004 10:47 am

I'm under the impression that a lot of the denizens of TROH are moving on to new pastures next september - what A levels, GCSEs, degrees, or whatever you-crazy-foreigners-do are people taking?

And what subjects are people midway through any of these taking?

EDIT - Oh, and, mustn't forget 'careers' for the older sraffies among us.
(You see I've taken the liberty of declaring myself one of you :wink:)
Last edited by Max on Tue May 18, 2004 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Max
Guardian of the Thesauri

Postby eloquent » Tue May 18, 2004 10:57 am

I'm taking AS exams in Maths (pure and mech), German, Economics and Business and Physics in a couple of weeks. I think I'll drop the German next year... We've all agreed that the subject is too damn hard. I can't imagine anyone except a German or possibly someone taking no other subjects with no desire for a social life getting an A on AS/A2 German.
eloquent
Professional Delinquent

Postby Qu Klaani » Tue May 18, 2004 1:01 pm

Don't mention AS levels in my presence, stupid ~*dugong*~ exams.
Qu Klaani
Idi Admin

Postby Max » Tue May 18, 2004 1:09 pm

Qu Klaani wrote:Don't mention AS levels in my presence, stupid ~*dugong*~ exams.

Happily disregarding that, I'll take this opportunity to state my chosen AS Levels...
    English Language
    English Literature
    Philosophy
    Physics
    Biology
Max
Guardian of the Thesauri

Postby Enitharmon » Tue May 18, 2004 2:02 pm

I've sat more than enough exams for one lifetime thank you very much!

I don't suppose I've seen the last of being somebody else's wage slave but for the time being at least I'm trying to make my own way under my own steam. Being in control of my own life is worth not having as much dosh as I once had.
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by the age of eighteen (Albert Einstein)
The Book of Enitharmon
Currently reading: Vanity Fair by William M Thackeray
Enitharmon
Ageing Drama Queen

Yahoo Messenger: swanofkennet
AOL: SwanOfKennet

Postby Max » Tue May 18, 2004 4:40 pm

Enitharmon wrote:I don't suppose I've seen the last of being somebody else's wage slave but for the time being at least I'm trying to make my own way under my own steam. Being in control of my own life is worth not having as much dosh as I once had.

So, you're a professional writer, then?
Max
Guardian of the Thesauri

Postby Trillian » Tue May 18, 2004 4:57 pm

As well as a certified Physicist! Our Rosie's so talented. :smiley:

I'm doing TEE (Tertiary Entrance Examinations) this year, and I'm taking five, which is the maximum as of this year. I take English Literature (there's only one class this year, for shame), Art (with Art History components), Mathematics, PhysSci (Chemistry/Physics) and Human Biology. I've mid-year exams in two weeks or so, then Mock TEE later on in the year, and then TEE in September/October. After I finish highschool, I'm deferring University for a year and travelling/working/figuring out what I want to do with myself. It'd kick ass to get into Law, but that's mighty impossible over here. Much competition, and you've got to have a 99.9999999999999% average. I wouldn't mind taking Forensics, or some sort of Biology. Although I bet I'll end up taking a degree that I love, but will ultimately gain no money from. You see, I'm selfish and I want to have a lot of money when I'm older. The things I want to study can't promise me that.
Trillian
Wanton Antipodean

AOL: tanyadsm

Postby Enitharmon » Tue May 18, 2004 5:01 pm

Max wrote:So, you're a professional writer, then?

One of the delights of being a crime writer is that when people get uppity you can think of nasty ways to kill them :twisted:

*dreams up gory fate for Mad Max*
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by the age of eighteen (Albert Einstein)
The Book of Enitharmon
Currently reading: Vanity Fair by William M Thackeray
Enitharmon
Ageing Drama Queen

Yahoo Messenger: swanofkennet
AOL: SwanOfKennet

Postby Lalura » Tue May 18, 2004 5:20 pm

Qu Klaani wrote:Don't mention AS levels in my presence, stupid ~*dugong*~ exams.

Don't worry, if you make it through the first year without killing yourself, you'll probably make it through the second.
You cannot trust this girl. Her mind has been warped by colours, sounds and shapes.

Golden slumbers kiss your eyes,
Smiles awake you when you rise.
Lalura
Isilvala

Postby Max » Tue May 18, 2004 5:23 pm

Trillian wrote:It'd kick ass to get into Law, but...

But Law would be so painfully monotonous, and you wouldn't really be doing something worthwhile. (Infact, quite the reverse)
Sorry. I shouldn't criticise your aspirations; I like your choice of subjects. You've left you options very open, which is good.. (As I started this thread I feel obliged to comment inanely on people's choices.)

*dreams up gory fate for Mad Max*

As long as it involves volcanos, high pressure steam, frayed rope bridges, and the inhalation of inflammable gas, it's all good.
Max
Guardian of the Thesauri

Postby Will » Tue May 18, 2004 6:03 pm

Had my first AS bitc.. exam yesterday. Opened the paper and thought yes, Kikes. Thank you random fluctuations in space-time.

I take English Literature (there's only one class this year, for shame)

Here, two. Me and lots of chicks.
Q: If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God tell you when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
Pullman: Well, I'm retiring, would you like to take it on ?
Will
Homo Sine Deo

Postby Blossom » Tue May 18, 2004 6:05 pm

i am taking AS history, english lit, biology and either chemistry or ICT haven't quite decided.
Blossom
Brigade Leader

Postby Qu Klaani » Tue May 18, 2004 6:18 pm

I am taking AS history, english lit, biology and either chemistry or ICT haven't quite decided.

You live in Macclesfield don't you? Come to Aquinas, it pwns.
Qu Klaani
Idi Admin

Postby Tomsy » Tue May 18, 2004 6:20 pm

My GCSE choices (other than maths, English etc.) = Latin, history, French and classical civilisations. I wanted to do Latin a year early, or do an extra subject or something, but they wouldn't let me :evil: even though I'm top in my year at pretty much everything and I'm really modest too! :sarcasm:
Guild of arrogance here I come!
When in doubt, castle.

Image Image Image
Tomsy
Ain't no passing craze

Postby Jameson » Tue May 18, 2004 6:50 pm

I have my leaving cert next year, which is basically the same as Alevels, but we cover a much wider range of subjects, (we do 7, but only your best 6 are considered)
Mine are-
Irish
English
Maths-these we all have to do, which is a pain in the bollocks for someone like me, who can barely count :evil:

History
Art
Spanish
Home Ec.
Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself.
~ Harvey Fierstein
Jameson
COKEWHORE

Postby Laura » Tue May 18, 2004 10:21 pm

I'll be a second semester sophomore at college next year ( I get to graduate early, YAY!)

So far, I'm registered to take; Literary Cricism, Writing Fiction, Painting, Multimedia design, Sociology, another required religion class, *sigh* a class where I get to study plays, and another where I get to write some stuff--I forget what its called, and hopefully and art history class, or geology.

Oh yeah, and I'm taking weight training and badminton.
"I infect the entire Net" ---Hexadecimal
Laura
Gone Nineteen

Postby Brutillus » Tue May 18, 2004 11:39 pm

because I'm only in ninth grade my future remains a little vague, but I know that I'd really like to be a concept artist for games and films, so I'll probably go to some kind of art school.
new website with new artwork (hopefully) coming soon

Have you ever considered any real freedoms? freedoms...from the opinions of others...even the opinions of yourself?
-Kurtz

"I admire their laziness. " -David F

"Do these people never give up?" - Colonel Kilgore
Brutillus
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Huginn » Tue May 18, 2004 11:44 pm

Going to junior year in high school this fall. AP Chemistry, AP Language, AP European History, Analysis Honors, and Gifted Spanish IV Honors. One semester electives: Basic Phycial Education (required) and Philosophy.
It just is.
Huginn
Idiocy Reincarnate

AOL: huginn372

Postby Max » Tue May 18, 2004 11:57 pm

abc wrote:My GCSE choices (other than maths, English etc.) = Latin, history, French and classical civilisations.

Jeebus... At my school GCSE options were limited to Geography or History, a choice of teachnology, and a choice of creative art. And you have... Classical civilisations and Latin?? (Incidentally, what use is being able to speak Latin in this day and age?)

abc wrote:even though I'm top in my year at pretty much everything and I'm really modest too! :sarcasm:
Guild of arrogance here I come!

I'm in the very same situation :wink:
Although of course, without the "pretty much"
Max
Guardian of the Thesauri

Postby jessia » Wed May 19, 2004 5:06 am

i'm taking my... i'm going into grade twelve?

this summer

12 academic english in ENGLAND, YAY.

next year...

12 gifted bio
12 gifted phycs
12 gifted chem
12 gifted exercise science
12 academic advanced functions & introductory calculus (dropped out of gifted, then dropped out of the class, so i'm taking it again)
12 academic geometry/algebra... something? (apparently REALLY hard)
12 academic world history (YAY!)
12 academic human growth & development

full course load.. blah. it's going to kill me. but at least i won't have to take english next year at our crappy school.
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Return to “%s” Anything Goes - Questions and Polls