The Republic of Heaven

OUATITN: What did you think?

Discuss the companion books of the HDM trilogy: Lyra's Oxford and Once Upon a Time in the North.

Re: What did you think?

Postby Australis » Wed May 21, 2008 11:30 am

North, like LO, has clues, snippets, possibilities for us to wonder about and try to figure out. Some things are just there for the fun of it (April 31st?), other things, like a Miss Lund/Mrs Coulter connection, may or may not be answered in the future. Plenty of room for fanfic though.

Without these things, we would just have two short stories. With them, we have much more.

Just hope Will's book doesn't take another five years to see the light of day.
Australis
Zalif

Postby jessia » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:33 pm

i really enjoyed this one, and moreso than LO. i'll have to read it again to get a better appreciation of it, but it really was lovely. and hester really is the coolest.

Riali wrote:I rather think the story is meant to be Lyra's Dissertation, isn't it? Granted, it doesn't exactly have a scholarly tone, but she's not called Silvertongue for nothing. I'm particularly appreciative of her titling an adventure story "Patterns of trade etc, etc."

maybe? maybe it was a background for it, but either way, the topic sounded lovely. and interestingly relevant considering those melting glaciers in the north and the new patterns for trade.
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby Luca » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:51 am

Wow. That dissertation-penny just dropped here. :o
So tell me now, o tell me this: a forest’s son, a river’s daughter, a willow wand, a will-o-wisp.
Our ghosts will wander all of the water.
Luca
Armoured Bear

Postby Grumman » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:29 pm

Australis wrote:Just hope Will's book doesn't take another five years to see the light of day.

As I wrote; Pullman is one lazy writer. I agree it's better not to have too much of what's too good, but sometimes I believe he exagerates it. :lol:
Grumman
Armoured Bear

Postby Stelmaria7 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:27 am

i have it right now but i won't be starting it untill wendsday or thursday. But i found that my copy doesn't have the games. The game doesnt' make sence. How are you suppose to win. The rules state that the last person to start wins. So everyone only has to take one turn??
Stelmaria7
Gallivespian Spy

Location: sitting at the computer, staring into it's endless depths and reminissing about what could have been

Postby MojaveByrd » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:56 am

Finally got the book and read it in one sitting. Loved how the friendship between Lee and Iorek started. Loved them mispronouncing each other's names. Loved finding out Hester is an Arctic Hare. Loved how she nailed that snake and dragged her away from her person to make him suffer like he did to someone. That whole scene was very Clint Eastwood as someone said above. Oh, the reference that the Winchester is the one he died with sent chills up my spine. Loved how Lee's helping Ms. Lund returned the karma in kind to him. Her fiance just happened to be the customs agent who rescued Lee. Loved how the agent's daemon told Hester it was going to be alright. I thought there was more of a telepathic bond between daemons and their people - that Lee should have felt that everything was going to be okay after Hester knew and probably relaxed a bit even though she didnt' have the chance to tell him.

I hope there's a book about Will and how he and his mother and possibly Mary went about their lives, but I really hope there will be a Book of Dust.
My Osprey daemon, Andreas
MojaveByrd
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Grumman » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:03 pm

MojaveByrd wrote:Finally got the book and read it in one sitting. Loved how the friendship between Lee and Iorek started. Loved them mispronouncing each other's names. Loved finding out Hester is an Arctic Hare. Loved how she nailed that snake and dragged her away from her person to make him suffer like he did to someone. That whole scene was very Clint Eastwood as someone said above. Oh, the reference that the Winchester is the one he died with sent chills up my spine. Loved how Lee's helping Ms. Lund returned the karma in kind to him. Her fiance just happened to be the customs agent who rescued Lee. Loved how the agent's dæmon told Hester it was going to be alright. I thought there was more of a telepathic bond between dæmons and their people - that Lee should have felt that everything was going to be okay after Hester knew and probably relaxed a bit even though she didnt' have the chance to tell him.

I hope there's a book about Will and how he and his mother and possibly Mary went about their lives, but I really hope there will be a Book of Dust.

It's a nice little book indeed. I'm looking forward to Pullman's next "real book," though. I wonder how many years I'll have to wait.
Grumman
Armoured Bear

Postby MojaveByrd » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:52 am

Grumman wrote:It's a nice little book indeed. I'm looking forward to Pullman's next "real book," though. I wonder how many years I'll have to wait.

Not too long, I hope. I'm not that young. LOL
My Osprey daemon, Andreas
MojaveByrd
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Australis » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:49 am

One advantage of there not being sequels to GC (?) is that PP won't be distracted from getting stuck into Will's book and TBoD! :D
Australis
Zalif

Postby IDidNotSendForYou! » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:42 pm

It was miles better than 'Lyra's Oxford'. Like comparing Iorek Byrnison to a cliff ghast :)
Marisa! Marisa!
IDidNotSendForYou!
Grazer

Postby reflective » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:40 pm

Grumman wrote:
Riali wrote:I very much hope we meet Miss Lund and Lieutenant Haugland again too, I'd like to know what becomes of them. (Note: Do you suppose there's any chance that they are Mrs. Coulter's parents? Killed soon after her birth, leaving her to be raised in the church, etc. Miss Lund's strange magneticism made me wonder...)

I'd certainly be quite concerned about their fate. Maybe they were forced to emigrate, so the idea of them being Mrs. Coulter's parents isn't entirely far fetched.

i dont think they will be some how because of there ages and also i dont think that miss lund and haugland have all the qualitys of mrs coulter, but miss lund and mre coulter are both described as pretty so feel free to prove me wrong
:wink: :shifty:
we all have to die one day
a depressing thought isn't it
reflective
Zalif

Postby tonytiges » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:18 pm

Just finished the book.

A little slow at first.. but it soon gathered to the same pace as the main trilogy... but, unfortunatly, no sooner had the story achieved full speed.. Lee was in his balloon again... and I'd reached the back cover!
Still a cracking short story... with some lil gems referencing the main trilogy...
I enjoyed this one ALOT more than LO....

<dalewinton>Bring the Book of Dust</Dalewinton>
tonytiges
Grazer

Return to “%s” Companion Books