The Republic of Heaven

Asriel and Mrs Coulter's feelings for Lyra

Discuss the opening book of the trilogy

Asriel and Mrs Coulter's feelings for Lyra

Postby AmyLilias » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:45 pm

This may sound so stupid but i was wondering if someone could tell me with out giving away the next two books, whether the sequence at the end of Northern Lights means that Lord A and Mrs C don't actually care for Lyra? i was really annoyed when Lord A turned kinda bad help would be much appreciated thanking you very much
here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life;which grows
higher than the soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)
AmyLilias
Grazer

Postby Jaya » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:04 pm

It may seem like Lord Asriel is a 'bad' character, but the only way to really find out what happens is to read the following books! Trust us, they are fantastic - and will explain more to you about why the books may be considered 'anti-God' or 'anti-religion' by some. You know you want to read them. :wink:
"To him whose elastic and vigorous thought keeps pace with the sun, the day is a perpetual morning."
-Henry David Thoreau

ImageImageImageImageImage
Jaya
Je ne suis pas une sraffie.

Postby Atrias » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:29 am

Asriel is a very driven man... he has goals that he absolutely MUST achieve and thats just the way he is. He doesn't go bad per se, he just see's sacrifice as a means to an end which he truly believes must be accomplished. You see more of this in later books but therer is something deeper running within Asriel too that will prove awesome for you as you continue to read the trilogy!
Theres more than one way to skin a cat... the problem is you can only test each one out on a single cat.

-~-

When people tell me to read between the lines I get confused because I can't find the words between the words.
Atrias
Zalif

Yahoo Messenger: kahalicras@yahoo.com
AOL: GoodApollo21IV13

Re: Needing someone's help

Postby Enitharmon » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:07 am

AmyLilias wrote:This may sound so stupid but i was wondering if someone could tell me with out giving away the next two books, whether the sequence at the end of Northern Lights means that Lord A and Mrs C don't actually care for Lyra? i was really annoyed when Lord A turned kinda bad help would be much appreciated thanking you very much

There are no clear-cut 'goodies' and 'baddies' in HDM. It's like real life.
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by the age of eighteen (Albert Einstein)
The Book of Enitharmon
Currently reading: Vanity Fair by William M Thackeray
Enitharmon
Ageing Drama Queen

Yahoo Messenger: swanofkennet
AOL: SwanOfKennet

Postby Atrias » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:21 pm

Well said Enitharmon.

Though to be fair the character I can see as being the most "baddie" is Lord Boreal... I just don't see anything other than selfishness in his motives and arrogance in his treatment of Lyra and Will.
Theres more than one way to skin a cat... the problem is you can only test each one out on a single cat.

-~-

When people tell me to read between the lines I get confused because I can't find the words between the words.
Atrias
Zalif

Postby AUST » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:42 pm

Enitharmon wrote:
AmyLilias wrote:This may sound so stupid but i was wondering if someone could tell me with out giving away the next two books, whether the sequence at the end of Northern Lights means that Lord A and Mrs C don't actually care for Lyra? i was really annoyed when Lord A turned kinda bad help would be much appreciated thanking you very much

There are no clear-cut 'goodies' and 'baddies' in HDM. It's like real life.

Exactly-the characters change just like they do in real life.
My Spelling is wobberly. I get all the right letters but they wobble and end up in the wrong order
AUST
Witch

Postby Pagdzin tulku » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:45 pm

If you look at the story from a certain point of view, they're the good character. Look at the story through the eyes of Mrs Coulter, and she'll be a good character, despite what she does.
My daemon is Eurasta. Her favourite forms are the Raccoon, Beagle (dog), and Otter. I think she'll settle as a Hare, or Squirrel...
Pagdzin tulku
Zalif

Postby Mogget » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:42 am

As people have said, there are very few characters in the series who are portrayed as exclusively good or evil. Marisa and Asriel do not fall into that category--in fact, I think it's their moral ambiguousness that makes them such appealing characters. If you can get yourself to think the way a certain character does, you'll realize that there is no such thing as pure evil or pure good, especially not in these books. Once you reach TAS I think you'll find that a certain Doctor makes quite an enlightening commentary on the subject.
~(p^~p)
e^(iπ)+1=0
6*9=42
Mogget
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Yrael » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:47 pm

I definately found Metatron evil, i didn't see any good in him, just like he didn't see any in Mrs Coulter. As for Mrs Coulter i found that she was a character that for the first 2 and a half books was portrayed as Evil, but at the end she almost climbs to the level of bad, i don't think that her sudden burst of love for Lyra makes up for the years of wrong doing.
Pick a Star, any star!
Yrael
The eighth shiner

Postby Atrias » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:35 pm

It doesnt make up for it, but it does definitely show her in a different light. You feel very sorry for her I think, knowing her earlier life, being unable to live with Asriel or bring up her daughter could have caused her to disguise and bury her true feelings, if not repress them completely, and embark on her zealous campaign to repress the same within other people.

-~-

Atrias
Zalif

Return to “%s” The Golden Compass / Northern Lights