The Republic of Heaven

What were some of the reasons why you enjoyed the book?

Discuss the opening book of the trilogy

Re: What were some of the reasons why you enjoyed the book?

Postby LadySylvia » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:43 pm

THE GOLDEN COMPASS is a pretty good, solid story and I like it. I just don't find it mind blowing.
LadySylvia
Grazer

Postby Yrael » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:18 pm

I loved it because it was so well writen that it felt real, it was all so reasoned, Pullman left no blank edges on the map as you might say.
Pick a Star, any star!
Yrael
The eighth shiner

Postby bharned1 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:03 am

All the characters are great, Lyra and Will go perfectly together, and the book keeps you going. I chain-read them without stopping. Easily the best books that I've ever read. :D
Tommorow we will sweat and toil, our hands will quiver caked with soil.
Tommorow we'll give it one last chance,
but tonight we dance, but tonight we dance!
-Rise Against, But Tonight We Dance
bharned1
Zalif

Postby Yrael » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:27 pm

Will isn't in Northern lights. :|
But still he is a great character.
Pick a Star, any star!
Yrael
The eighth shiner

Postby Midnighttosix » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:25 pm

The reason I enjoyed the book was simply that it was the first book I really did enjoy.

I first read Northern Lights six or seven years ago, and up to that point all I read was trashy children's fiction. I slowly got into it, finding the description of Lyra's Oxford surprisingly engaging and the way the story of the Gobblers was gradually revealed entrancingly removed from the clunky exposition I was used to. I found myself being pulled more and more into Pullman's world as I read on, particularly as Lyra journeyed further north. What really sold me, though, was the 'Armour' chapter when Lyra pulls at the bond between her and Pan. I was amazed that I actually felt the pain of separation and the moment of joy when the two are reunited.

But the turning point came with the discovery of Tony Makarios and his ultimate fate. As strange as it sounds, it took me a while to realise that what I felt was really sadness, it never occurred to me that writing could actually bring out my emotions. What’s more, it made me feel hopelessly lonely without a daemon of my own. From then on it was one inconceivably exciting event after the other: the silver guillotine, battle of Bolvangar and the wonderful Svalbard section. When I first read the ending, I wasn’t sure if I liked it or not (I still think Pullman’s writing in the last few chapters seems very removed in style from the rest of the book). But luckily, I had a copy of The Subtle Knife at hand and was straight into it- I can still remember exactly where I was when I finished Northern Lights and started the sequel! :D
"If you can find an Afghan rebel that the Moscow bullets missed, ask him what he thinks of voting Communist.... Sandinista!" - Joe Strummer
Midnighttosix
Gyptian

Postby Rayne » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:32 am

This trilogy for me, was stunning. The characters were so believable and I grew to love and care for them. Im 23 years old and I love this series. It is by far my favorite! PP is so creative and original and I love the truth in his books.

**Im so very new to this site!! Nice to meet you all!!
Rayne
Grazer

Postby thebrood » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:54 pm

the reasons for liking the book are numerous, and it's easily one of the best i've ever read. but there's a few things that stand out to me, and the first is: alternate-universe science! it intrigues me to no end to explore the potential course of history if certain things never happened, or happened a different way, and Pullman pulls this off excellently with a believable world where religion and science are intertwined. Naturally there'd be less emphasis on things like biology and geology, since they tend to clash with the church's view, and more emphasis on material sciences like particle physics, an area in which Lyra's world seems to be more advanced than our own. That's just a science nerd thing, though.

The other thing that really differentiated this book from others that i've read is the ability that Pullman has to make his readers experience what the characters experience. Like others in this thread have already said, reading the book actually caused a yearning for an IRL daemon of my own. The horror when lyra finds out what they're doing at Bolvangar was my horror, and the loss and rage and betrayal felt when Roger died at the end would follow me for several days, causing me to simultaneously curse Philip Pullman and Lord Azriel, and at the same time cause me to pick up The Subtle Knife at the very next opportunity.

third reason: ARMORED. FRIGGIN. BEARS.
thebrood
Grazer

Postby bee » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:32 pm

thebrood wrote:The other thing that really differentiated this book from others that i've read is the ability that Pullman has to make his readers experience what the characters experience.

This easily sums up one of my favourite aspects of these books (and is, in general, what I feel makes a truly great writer).

thebrood wrote:That's just a science nerd thing, though.

Science nerdery, ftw. :D

You should pop over to the Newbie Welcome and introduce yourself! :)
ImageImageImage
Best Newbie (Sraffie Awards 2008)
Best Dressed Sraffie (Sraffie Awards 2009)

"There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved." (Charles Darwin, "On the Origin of Species")
bee
HoneyPie

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Valrad » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:08 pm

There are way too many to list and detail them too, so I'll probably stick to the ones which glued me to the book and made me feel dry and empty when I finished the series.

The first thing would be the plot: It's so mysterious and detailed that it makes you wonder what would have happened if a decision coming from one of the characters which could influence Lyra was made. What if Pantalaimon somehow forced Lyra to not go find Tony Makarios, or Roger not wanting to follow Lyra in the last step of her journey?

Now, everybody liked daemons, I presume. I loved them, the concept was great and its application has been done nicely. I wish that daemons were able to hurt humans though, it makes them more important and gives them a more prominent appearance than just your usual adviser.

And my favorite? The ending of course! It was so intense and nicely detailed, and Asriel's deception was one of the most striking parts of the book. Even now, I'm asking myself whether Asriel was a villain or not.
Valrad
Grazer

Postby tellthemstories » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:30 pm

Its a beautifully crafted work of literary genius complete with fantastic characters, great plot line and a believably imagined world. Whats not to like? (unless you are a devout christian)
What does it take to make us real?
tellthemstories
Grazer

Return to “%s” The Golden Compass / Northern Lights