The Republic of Heaven

Asriel & Coulter's relationship

Discuss the opening book of the trilogy

Re: Asriel+Coulter

Postby Lera » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:47 am

As for me, MC and LA are the most beautiful and strange pair I've read about. I don't agree with many things they've done, but I can't not to like them. I think, they were too proud to believe in love between them. P.S. sorry for my English. :lol:
Pain - The Same Old Song
Lera
Zalif

Yahoo Messenger: ermolaevavaleria@yahoo.com

Re: Asriel & Coulter's relationship

Postby tyche » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:04 pm

I think they love each other. Absolutely. It's more clear in TAS than in NL but i think it's pretty evident in all the books (well i guess not in TSK since they never interact).
Mrs Coulter and Lord Asriel are enemies. She works for the church which he despises and she thinks his work is heretical so when they meet on Svalbard both have every reason to kill the other but they don't. Instead they almost team up. I guess you can make a case that Lord Asriel just wanted her help but i really don't buy that. I mean, he doesn't need her help at all, he knows she's the most untrustworthy person ever and he lies about what he's doing so she couldn't be that helpful anyway.
I don't think you can say it was just lust either. Lust isn't strong enough to continue to bring two people who are completley philosophically opposed (considering both feel the other is doing things that would compromise their own souls and salvation) together time and time again for 12 years.
Nurture your mind with great thoughts; to believe in the heroic makes heroes.
- Benjamin Disraeli
tyche
Gallivespian Spy

Re: Asriel & Coulter's relationship

Postby Lera » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:59 pm

I think their unusual relationships make us to admire them. They loved each other, but at the same time they both loved freedom and their statuses too much to be together. :love:
Pain - The Same Old Song
Lera
Zalif

Yahoo Messenger: ermolaevavaleria@yahoo.com

Return to “%s” The Golden Compass / Northern Lights