The Republic of Heaven

Books you should like...but don't.

Talk about other books here

Re: Books you should like...but don't.

Postby Max » Sun May 25, 2008 9:56 am

Aletheia Dolorosa wrote:This is why I think the production I saw handled it so well. It had a focus on hypocrisy more generally, rather than the specific moral concerns of the play, which, as you say, are harder to relate to in the 21st century. Obviously
Spoiler:
it had to keep the central element of moral hysteria about sex outside marriage in the play
but it was done in such a way that it seemed simply an element of the current sleazy, hypocritical political climate - something that, in New South Wales, is, unfortunately, easy to relate to.

That's excellent. It's amazing how if you look at the twentieth century production history of virtually any Shakespeare play, every decade has its own radical reinterpretations. The plays seem capable of speaking not just to every age but to every apparently isolated circumstance in history, so long as a talented director is at work.
Max
Guardian of the Thesauri

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Sun May 25, 2008 10:11 am

Exactly. One of the interesting things that Jeanette Winterson said in the interview I did last week was that we don't go to Shakespeare plays to find out about the concerns of the Elizabethan era. We go to find out about ourselves. I don't think that making Shakespeare 'relevant' should be the be all and end all of a particular production, but I do think it is an important element.
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Avatar from Scandinavia and the World
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby sxygreenshoelace » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:37 pm

C'est La Vie...

that looked really good and sparked my interest with the cover art... then I started reading, and for some reason couldn't get past the first page... it just rambled to me, instead of being something I wanted to finish... so anyone want a free copy of it ? :?:
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car...

Everyone has photographic memory; some just don't have the film...
sxygreenshoelace
Zalif

Yahoo Messenger: geonhope
AOL: sxygreenshoelace

Postby intotheworld » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:18 am

Shakespeare- I haven't read one enjoyable story nor have I even liked a character from one.

I had a somewhat different problem with The Catcher in the Rye, I actually liked Holden but didn't care for about half of the story. I felt like a good portion of the book was simply wasted on Sunny and Maurice. The most intolerable character to me was actually the younger sister Phoebe. Not that I read many novels but Phoebe takes the cake for most annoying character not intended to be.
intotheworld
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Stelmaria7 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:28 pm

i could never read the Lord of the Rings. I just couldn't deal with all the plot description. my friend forced herself to read them. But i only got throught the Hobbit and then The Fellow Ship once. I also can't stand Anything by Tom Soyer. EVen thougth we have to read it every year it seems like. I made it throught and go a good grade on the tests even thougth i had no clue what was happening.
Stelmaria7
Gallivespian Spy

Location: sitting at the computer, staring into it's endless depths and reminissing about what could have been

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:03 am

Umm, Tom Sawyer's a book, not an author. Unless there's a Tom Soyer I've never heard of...

I'm not a huge Mark Twain fan myself, though. Reading A Connecticut Yankee At King Arthur's Court hurt my Arthurian fangirl heart.
'There are few things in this world that couldn't be improved by adding vampires to them.' - Scott Westerfeld
ImageImage
ImageImage
More melodrama/Even more melodrama/Sexiest Female Sraffie, Best Signature, Cam Whore, 2008 Sraffie Awards
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Postby Mockingbird » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:32 am

Stelmaria7 wrote:I also can't stand Anything by Tom Soyer.
Any relation to Huck Finn? :P

I'm not a huge fan of Mark Twain's philosophy, it's so...American but I'm not an "unfan" of his work. I should say I'm also not really an "unfan" of Shakespeare anymore. *still harbors hate for Salinger, Fitzgerald, Hemingway, and that entire school of prose*
Mockingbird
A Walking Blade

AOL: distantdeeps

Postby Qu Klaani » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:26 am

*still harbors hate for Salinger, Fitzgerald, Hemingway, and that entire school of prose*

*shoots Di*

:P

Um...I don't really have anything else to add. I don't really like The Amber Spyglass, guess thats slightly controversial.
Qu Klaani
Idi Admin

Postby Townie » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:50 am

I like the first two more, but its still a stonking fine read!
"A man does not show his greatness by being at one extremity, but rather by touching both at once." - Blaise Pascal
"Better a cruel truth than a comfortable delusion" - Edward Abbey
Townie
Village Idiot

Postby tyche » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:59 pm

I want to retract what i said about Catcher in the Rye. Just re-read it and this time it really struck a cord with me, possibly because of the twenty years premature midlife crisis i seem to be going through at the moment.
Nurture your mind with great thoughts; to believe in the heroic makes heroes.
- Benjamin Disraeli
tyche
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Aletheia Dolorosa » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:17 am

tyche wrote:I want to retract what i said about Catcher in the Rye. Just re-read it and this time it really struck a cord with me, possibly because of the twenty years premature midlife crisis i seem to be going through at the moment.

Join the quarter-life crisis club!
ImageImage
ImageImage
Aletheia Dolorosa
Wednesday's Child

Return to “%s” Other Books