The Republic of Heaven

Meaning of "Pantalaimon"

Discuss general topics related to the series

Meaning of "Pantalaimon"

Postby Assarhaddon » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:05 pm

Does somebody know whether Pullman ever made a comment on the meaning of the name "Pantalaimon"? In Srafopedia it is said to be derived from the name of a Greek saint, St. Panteleimon, meaning "all-merciful". However, I think it could mean "all-enduring" as well, which would fit Lyra's character much better.

There is a Doric verb tlanai, which means "to bear, to carry" but also "to endure, to suffer". It has the root -tla-, which appears in composite words also as -tela- or -talai-. Thus, there is a Greek hero named Telamon whose name means "the enduring one". Pan-talaimon could then mean "all-enduring".

So did Pullman actually ever mention that it meant "all-merciful"?
Assarhaddon
Grazer

Re: Meaning of "Pantalaimon"

Postby jessia » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:50 pm

the name exists as a derivation from the saint's name but (this sucks, i can't remember where) somewhere i think pullman explained something different from that. if you check our own hdm-wikipedia (srafopedia being the competition's), an additional suggestion exists (although we should probably find a source for it):

http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php?title=Pantalaimon wrote:"Panteleimon" means all merciful in Greek. The name Pantalaimon may also be derived from "Pandemonium", the capital of Hell in Milton's Paradise Lost. Pullman acknowledges drawing heavily from Paradise Lost. However, the Pantalaimon-Pandemonium connection is a lot stronger than that. "Pan" means "all," "demon" means "spirit" (a fallen angel in the case of Paradise Lost), and "ium" adds the idea "place of." Pan-demon-ium means "place of all demons."

whether this is purely speculation, the paradise lost connection is always important in hdm.
"o stars, isn't it from you that the lover's desire for the face
of his beloved arises? doesn't his secret insight
into her pure features come from the pure constellations?"
- from rainer maria rilke's third elegy

sign up and help edit+create his dark materials wiki articles for bridgetothestars!
http://www.bridgetothestars.net/wiki/index.php

Image Image
jessia
Sraffie Queen

Postby silverfrost » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:49 pm

Both all-enduring and all-merciful make sense to me. All-enduring does apply more to Lyra's situation, yes, but all-merciful is directly related to Pan. He has to be forgiving at the very end of the series, so he is certainly all-merciful.
silverfrost
Grazer

AOL: silverfrost9

Postby Bellerophon » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:18 pm

You're splitting hairs Assarhaddon. Pullman would likely point to the adjective eleêmôn, which means merciful.
A man said to the universe:
"Sir, I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
Bellerophon
Witch

Postby Assarhaddon » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:25 am

Does someone know for sure? Has PP ever confirmed this, or did someone simply take the first Greek word he stumbled upon where half the letters fit and which had a nice meaning and declare it to be the source?
Assarhaddon
Grazer

Postby Bellerophon » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:30 pm

Well, no matter which Greek word one chooses NONE of the letters will match. The Greeks didn't use the Latin alphabet. Eleêmôn (ελεήμων) is sometimes transliterated as eleimon, alaimon, or elaimon. The pronunciation remains the same. Its literal meaning is 'almoner.' It occurs several times in the Bible and is most often translated as 'merciful' or 'compassionate.'

See also Saint Pantaleimon (Άγιος Παντελεήμων = all-merciful). Παντ = Pan, meaning 'all.' Alternative forms include Saint Pantaleon (traditional Latinization), Saint Panteleemon, and Saint Pantalaimon. [Thanks jessia for the tip. I'd missed it earlier. :mrgreen:]

Anyway, I'm not sure whether Pullman ever explained himself or not, but the analogy seems compelling enough to me. If it weren't for the saint connection I might be more receptive to your etymology, which I admit makes some sense. In light of the above however, I think it's a bit of a stretch. Be careful not to read too much into transliterated text -- pronunciation matters, the letters do not.

*A footnote: Whoever edits the Srafopedia may want to consider eliminating the Pandemonium etymology. That's much more of a stretch than Assarhaddon's.

** Another footnote: A review of Northern Lights by child psychologist Margaret Rustin suggests that Nicholas Tucker agrees with me in Darkness Visible: Inside the World of Philip Pullman. Not sure about his sources or qualifications, but I like him nonetheless. :wink:
Last edited by Bellerophon on Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sir, I exist!"
A sense of obligation."
Bellerophon
Witch

Postby Assarhaddon » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:48 pm

I know the Greeks used a different alphabet. I have always been quite good in Ancient Greek at school.

You're probably right with the transliteration thing though. Pullman might just have gone for the sound of it not concerning traditional transliteration standards, which might make the etymology hard to recognise.

One more minor correction: Pantaleon is NO traditional Latinization of Παντελεήμων, but rather the original name of the saint. Panteleemon is an epithet he was given for his saintly behaviour and at the same time a kind of pun on his real name.
Assarhaddon
Grazer

Postby Bellerophon » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:09 pm

Fair enough, Assarhaddon. Interesting note about the name. I'm sh*t at Latin and hagiography so I shouldn't have made that assumption.

Anyway, I haven't been able to find Pullman's thoughts on the matter. Until someone else has better luck all we can do is speculate. Pan's name is certainly not the only one in HDM with tenebrous origins. For instance, did Pullman intend for Baruch to evoke Baruch Spinoza or did he just appreciate the Hebrew definition (blessed)? It could go either way . . .

Sorry if I came across as a bit of a scold. I'm afraid my diction is sometimes more abrasive than intended.
"Sir, I exist!"
A sense of obligation."
Bellerophon
Witch

Postby Mogget » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:31 pm

I don't think PP has ever mention the origin of Pan's name, so we're free to speculate, but I think that Bellerophon's deconstruction makes more sense than the one based on tlanai. It seems unlikely to me that PP would use an allusion that obscure (to anyone who doesn't know Greek) in something as important as Pan's name; I expect he took the name of the saint and transliterated it differently than was usually done. I don't know Greek myself, so I shouldn't be saying this, but given the meaning, usage, and grammar of the two different words, and their pronunciations, I believe the link to "eleêmôn" is much more probable than Assarhaddon's etymology.

PP definitely called upon Hebrew along with Latin and Greek to use in his nomenclature--the term bene elim, which is used to describe angels, means "sons of gods" in biblical Hebrew, and the name Metatron comes from a Hebrew word meaning "keeper of the watch." If Baruch's name indeed comes from the Hebrew root B-R-K, as it indeed may, then, Bellerophon, it would mean "blessed," but I think it more likely that PP wanted to pun on the famous philosopher's name (which comes from the same root).
~(p^~p)
e^(iπ)+1=0
6*9=42
Mogget
Gallivespian Spy

Postby Assarhaddon » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:15 am

Mogget wrote:PP definitely called upon Hebrew along with Latin and Greek to use in his nomenclature--the term bene elim, which is used to describe angels, means "sons of gods" in biblical Hebrew, and the name Metatron comes from a Hebrew word meaning "keeper of the watch." If Baruch's name indeed comes from the Hebrew root B-R-K, as it indeed may, then, Bellerophon, it would mean "blessed," but I think it more likely that PP wanted to pun on the famous philosopher's name (which comes from the same root).

The name Baruch actually appears several times in the bible, it was probably quite common among the Hebrews.
Assarhaddon
Grazer

Postby Mogget » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:47 pm

Assarhaddon wrote:The name Baruch actually appears several times in the bible, it was probably quite common among the Hebrews.

As common as it is now as an Israeli name, I daresay. I have a friend named Baruch.
~(p^~p)
e^(iπ)+1=0
6*9=42
Mogget
Gallivespian Spy

Postby WBA_premiership » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:58 pm

maybe it relates to Pandemonium from Paradise Lost
WBA_premiership
Zalif

Location: USA: SC usually or England: either Birmingham area usually

Postby Enitharmon » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:21 pm

WBA_premiership wrote:maybe it relates to Pandemonium from Paradise Lost

I don't think so. The only element in common is 'Pan' meaning 'all'.

West Brom for the Premiership? No chance! Glory days are long gone, chuck ;)
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by the age of eighteen (Albert Einstein)
The Book of Enitharmon
Currently reading: Vanity Fair by William M Thackeray
Enitharmon
Ageing Drama Queen

Yahoo Messenger: swanofkennet
AOL: SwanOfKennet

Return to “%s” General His Dark Materials Talk